× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WNDAP360 losing connection

ThreeXH
Aspirant

I don't know how may of you in this thread resolved your rebooting issues but some months ago when I had problems like these I reported them to Netgear and after first RMA'ing my AP they then provided me with V2.1.3.5 beta firmware which resolved the issues. The AP has been rock solid ever since.
Message 26 of 44
LapGear1
Aspirant

Please try the latest firmware posted - v2.1.5.
There is no known compatibility issue between the WNDAP360 and Apple devices. If you are still having issue after upgraded to v2.1.5, please open a support ticket. We will be happy to look into the issue.
Netgear Technical Support
Message 27 of 44
PedroDur
Novice

Where did you get the V2.1.3.5 beta firmware. I am tired of whaiting for Netgear to list this Firmeware and the AP is useless as it is now. 😉
Message 28 of 44
PedroDur
Novice

ThreeXH wrote:
I don't know how may of you in this thread resolved your rebooting issues but some months ago when I had problems like these I reported them to Netgear and after first RMA'ing my AP they then provided me with V2.1.3.5 beta firmware which resolved the issues. The AP has been rock solid ever since.

Any chance the V2.1.3.5 beta firmware is downloadable som where...?
Message 29 of 44
ThreeXH
Aspirant

PedroDur wrote:
Any chance the V2.1.3.5 beta firmware is downloadable som where...?

I got it from Netgear 3rd line. However the 2.1.5 firmware that you can download direct from the site is now newer than the 2.1.3 beta I was using and I am using the official 2.1.5 instead.

So far it seems to be working however testing is ongoing.
Message 30 of 44
SavellM
Aspirant

So further to this.
Altho the AP is still absolutely RUBBISH, and I cannot return it.

I tried the 2.1.5 and 2.1.6 firmware.
Another new bug has been release.

If you reboot the AP from within the WebGUI it seems to reboot, but the 5ghz network never comes back.

I mean seriously Netgear, do not do any QA?!
You are releasing firmware for AP's that are utter poop.

You release a business product that is in essence a large paperweight.

And the only way to get the 5ghz back is to do a factory reset!
Good job, well done, if user expectations wasn't already low, you have gone and just nuked it.

(ps. this was replicated in a Netgear support case, and engineer confirmed it!)
Message 31 of 44
RobOklahoma
Aspirant

Along with having this issue and my WiFi access point disappearing on two new FVS318N routers, I think I'm done with NetGear. Really upset because I thought NetGear was the end of my Cisco/Linksys nightmares, but apparently not.
Message 32 of 44
Jaceq
Aspirant

Guys,

I am stuck with this AP as well, only solution I see is to get alternative firmware onto it (as hardware seems to be decent enough).
I am working on porting OpenWRT to it (got majority of things working already).
If you are interested in getting images, please contact me via PM.

Thanks
Message 33 of 44
Viktor
Aspirant

Hi,

I'm wondering that nobody here suspected that the client radio firmware could cause issues.
Does anybody checked for the latest radio firmware for his clients?

It would be good to collect a list what kind of WiFi chips and firmware versions has issues on WNDAP360.

I have tested Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6205 AGN, REV=0xB0 with 18.168.6.1 firmware on Ubuntu 12.04. without problem.

Regards,
Viktor
Message 34 of 44
Jaceq
Aspirant

We have various clients and all are having problems, problem that were not happening on different APs...
Also they use pretty standard platform here (Atheros 7161 SoC and two separate Atheros radios).

Anyway I have 'final' version of openWRT on one of them that we will start testing in real live very soon... We use the latest trunk (from yesterday in final build) so goodies as kernel 3.8.6 (vs 2.6.super_old in stock firmware)...
I will update THIS PAGE today or tomorrow with procedure how to patch openWRT, build and put on WNDAP360.

Let me know if you guys have any questions (ideally by email).

Regards
Message 35 of 44
Viktor
Aspirant

Hi,

I further investigated the case. I have to review my earlier diagnosis. There was a hang on my Ubuntu notebook too.

- The client was seemed connected at the client and at the controller too.
- No unicast traffic clould be able to pass through.
- Sniffing the traffic (on the client and on the AP's ethernet interface) showed that only broadcast and multicast traffic can pass the radio link during the issue.
- There are only "Incomplete" statuses in the client's ARP table.

So I suppose the root cause is in the AP's encryption key renewal or client MAC address handling process.

I tested in the following environment:
WC7520 controller version: 2.4.0.26_3161
WNDAP360 version: 2.4.0.26_1465

I opened a case on netgear support and waiting for the fix now.

Officially there is no workaround yet, but reconnecting the client. However it seems that switching back to 11g or 11a or WPA-TKIP it eliminates the hangs.

So if you want to know you have similar issue, check the client WiFi connection status and whether the ARP table on the client has "Incomplete" MAC-addresses. Collect the logs and open a case...and wait...

I hope Netgear will fix this soon. Our customer not very happy. They can not use the system on the production network.:(

Viktor
Message 36 of 44
Jaceq
Aspirant

Did anyone try openWRT on this?
We are putting them in production now and so far all seems to be very good (a lot better than with stock firmware).
Message 37 of 44
TimMillerDyck
Aspirant

Hi Viktor and others,

We also were seeing this behavior with a WNDAP360 access point -- after a few hours of working fine, clients would show the wireless status as connected, but could not ping even the access point itself.

After opening a support ticket, NetGear provided a beta firmware, ver. 2.1.9.6, which has fixed the issue for us.

Regards,
Tim
Message 38 of 44
rodeolove
Aspirant

Tim Thank you for the advice! I am on hold with netgear techsupport to have them send me the beta firmware (since the one posted on their website 2.1.7) does not work!

Why are they posting firmware that doesn't work?

Thanks again.
Message 39 of 44
rodeolove
Aspirant

Tim,

The new firmware patch did not work.

I have a static ip address of 10.1.10.11

Whenever I run a constant ping on it.

10.1.10.11 -t

I get my normal:
Reply from 10.1.10.11: bytes...

But when it fails/dropps connection- my response is from 10.1.10.36 everytime

Reply from 10.1.10.36: Destination host unreachable

Why is the ip address changing.
Message 40 of 44
Jables
Aspirant

Hey all,
Ive been experiencing the same issues as all of you for the past few months since I purchased this AP. I ended up saying screw it, and replacing it with all AeroHive equipment (best decision ever). Anyways, I pulled the AP out of a drawer today after seeing this thread in hopes of the beta firmware fixing my issues. I contacted support and was provided with firmware version 2.1.9.10 which HAS RESOLVED THE DROPOUTS!!! I'd recommend contacting support for this version (or shoot me a message.. I've got it)
Message 41 of 44
Jaceq
Aspirant

Hi,

I've been using those APs with OpenWRT for few months now and I don't get ANY problems, no drops, no reboots no nothing. Seems to be pretty decent hardware!
Only problem is that inital flash is a bit complicated and afterwards you can update just via UI.
Message 42 of 44
eposconsultant
Aspirant

Did you get any feedback from Netgear level 3 support

Message 43 of 44
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi eposconsultant,

Please check to see if your WNDAP360 is running the latest firmware v3.0.5.0

http://support.netgear.com/product/WNDAP360