× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNR1000 resets / loses connections every night at the same time

erh782
Aspirant

WNR1000 resets / loses connections every night at the same time

I've had this router for about a week.

Each and every night, at exactly 3AM central time, the router drops all connections. Not only internet connections, but LAN connections as well.

There is nothing in the log about this. Nothing about a reset, a reboot, anything. The connections drop (SSH windows disconnect, etc.), and can connect again almost immediately. (In other words, the router is only "down" for about 5-10 seconds.)

I would not think that it's related to my ISP, since LAN connections are dropped as well.

Please advise.
Message 1 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: WNR1000 resets / loses connections every night at the same time

Do the log entries show anything before the loss? If no then it could be rebooting on it's own.

Do a factory default reset and re-enter configs.
Message 2 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

WNR1000 is a router belong to this section
http://forum1.netgear.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32

FYI, when you post new thread topic used above URL

but LAN connections as well.

How do you define that.. you get disconnection alert at task bar on windows?
Message 3 of 8
erh782
Aspirant

@searay: No, nothing in the log. @jmizoguchi - Thanks for the link, I apologize, I thought I was posting in the correct place. Noted for future reference. I have SSH terminal windows open. From my desktop (192.168.1.10) to a local server (192.168.1.20). The connections drop & the client needs to reconnect. The server is not dropping the connections. I have windows open to several servers, they all drop. And the internet connections drop at the same time. (I have an IRC client open to the internet, it drops & reconnects as well). SSH & IRC (generally) have ping timeouts of at least 30-60 seconds. If it was just a small network hiccup, the connections wouldn't be reset. The router is explicitly dropping the connections. New Information: This doesn't only happen at 3 AM, I think it happens at 3PM too. I happened to be sitting in front of the computer today at 3PM & the same thing happened.
Message 4 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Change time zone to see if it changes when it drops. Check logs to be sure some events in fact are being logged.
Message 5 of 8
erh782
Aspirant

I'll give the changing timezone thing a shot. I am also going to disconnect the router from my cable modem to definitively rule out this being my ISP's fault. I have all logging options turned on. Nothing relevant appears in the logs. Enabled options: Include in Log Attempted access to allowed sites Attempted access to blocked sites and services Connections to the Web-based interface of this Router Router operation (startup, get time etc) Known DoS attacks and Port Scans Port Forwarding / Port Triggering Wireless access Automatic Internet connection reset Turn off wireless signal by schedule
Message 6 of 8
erh782
Aspirant

searay wrote:
Change time zone to see if it changes when it drops. Check logs to be sure some events in fact are being logged.

Changing the time zone had no effect on the time the router drops connections. Still at 3am and 3pm, just like before. (I moved the timezone by two hours.) On that screen there is an option to set up a schedule to block services between certain hours. That screen is pretty confusing, but I have none of the days enabled.

I have the router emailing me a copy of the log every hour. Nothing relevant appears in the logs.

I have not yet tried disconnecting from my cable modem to rule that out definitively. I will try that when I get a chance, but I don't think it's going to matter. It is very unlikely that the cable modem is the cause.

So.... I'm at a bit of a loss. Why would this router reset every day at the exact same time? Did I get a dud?
Message 7 of 8
Gossi
Aspirant

Perhaps there is something wrong with the internet, yes, you can try it again at another time and then check your logs. Hope you can find out the problem.
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7