× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNR2000 AP behind WNR3500

DoyL
Aspirant

WNR2000 AP behind WNR3500

Setting up a WNR2000 as an AP behind a WNR3500 router. I know to set IP within range set in 3500, turn DHCP off, set security as desired. My question regards SSID and Channel: For "best" seamless mobility (surfing near 3500, then moving to area where signal is stronger from 2000), do I need both units to have same SSID and on same channel? Or should one be on a different channel? If they have different SSID, will I have to manually re-connect to the unit with the stronger signal? Just not sure what will happen in these different scenarios. Thanks for any help. DoyL
Message 1 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: WNR2000 AP behind WNR3500

You can have same SSID to roam around wit same channel swell, best setup is to use all same models or use different SSID ,different channel
Message 2 of 8
DoyL
Aspirant

Yeah, I'm sure you're right about same model usage, but locally only had a 2000 and closest place to get another 3500 was 48 miles "one-way". Am hoping to be satisfied with lesser model. Thanks for input about SSID and channel information. Wasn't sure how to make sure I stay connected roaming around my soon-to-be-enlarged "coverage area" from different access locations. Thanks again
Message 3 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Also roaming are based on how wifi devices can change so you may not see the changes rapidly so if you only concern for remote wifi devices to connect at each zone then using different SSID would benefit just as good bug this your preferences and not me 🙂
Message 4 of 8
DoyL
Aspirant

OK, a little confused now. Here's what I hope to accomplish (primary concern): I am connecting this new access point (by wire) in an area that currently has little or no signal from existing router. Let's say I'm connected and viewing websites from an area with strong signal at original router & decide to move to outdoor patio (where new AP is close too). I hope connection will automatically run thru new AP without me having to pick access to the AP connection in available network connections. Which setup am I looking for?
Message 5 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You need to play with what is best function using two n router with different models

You are asking function of wifi device can and not hop to net AP is conditional base so you are only one can tell same SSID, channel or different channel SSID is your choice
Message 6 of 8
DoyL
Aspirant

OK, Thanks for your words and help!
Message 7 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

play around is all I can say.. good luck
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors