× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WRN2000 V2 wont broadcast signal

mtcnd2002
Aspirant

WRN2000 V2 wont broadcast signal

Hello,

My wireless router randomly stopped working today. In the past, the signal has frequently dropped and I just had to reboot (unplug, count to 100, plug back in, good as need). However, this time, it won't reboot. It is not broadcasting the signal.

On the front of my router, the power light is solid amber, the internet light is amber, the wireless light is blue and the ports are lighting up 1, 2, 3, 4 in green. The security light at the bottom is not coming on.

Here is what I am using:

Laptop running Windows 7. I also have a mac, a PS3, apple TV, a directTV box and a Droid Pro cell phone that usually connect to the network but those won't connect either.

AT&T DSL (it's working fine. I am plugged in directly to my modem to create this email)

Here is what I have tried:

1. reboot router (unplug, wait, plug in) -- did not work
2. reboot modem and router (unplug modem, wait, plug in modem, wait, plug in router, wait) -- did not work
3. I tried to hit the factory reset button but when I hold it down it does not make the power light flash no matter how long I hold it. I also checked and I am definitely hitting the little button inside the hole.

Any tips on what I should do next? I am at my wits end on this. I just bought this less than a year ago and I have had pretty consistent problems with the signal dropping. Luckily I could also reset it but not this time.

Thanks,
Mike
Message 1 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: WRN2000 V2 wont broadcast signal

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

I would check other wireless around you. you could have channel interference issues.

if you live in saturated area with 2.4Ghz will continue to have an issues
Message 2 of 7
mtcnd2002
Aspirant

Hi there are several WiFi routers in my building around me but this has never been a problem before and no new networks have emerged. I can't even get the internet through the router by plugging into one of the ports (I can plug directly into my modem but if I plug an ethernet into my netgear, it does not give me any internet)
Message 3 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I can't even get the internet through the router by plugging into one of the ports

if this the case then not sure... reset usually works but you could have unit which going bad as well
Message 4 of 7
R_T_L
Aspirant

The exact same thing happened to me. Only difference is I can run ethernet through router to desktop and still get to internet. My laptop will not detect the router wirelessly, though. It detects all of my neighbors as it did before, just not mine. It happened suddenly a few days ago. I've tried everything with no luck. Only possibility I can think of at this point is lightning hit it during a storm we had over this past weekend. I can't comprehend how the router could still work (lights, wired, etc) but the wireless be knocked out. From what I've seen on other posts, it is possible. You and I may be up the creek and be forced to replace our $70 routers. I'm not giving up yet so I'll let you know if I find a solution for mine.
Message 5 of 7
R_T_L
Aspirant

Wow I just got lucky right after replying to your post! I read somewhere that you had to hold the on/off button on the back for 5-10 seconds for it to work. I held for 7 seconds and my laptop immediately recognized my router. Thank goodness! I had previously tried pushing it for only 1-2 seconds, so the trick is at least 5-7 seconds. Hope you figure your issue out, too.
Message 6 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

see router reset on my sig for proper reset procedure for future reference

most manufacture all uses close to 10sec hold in order to reset to work but in your case it work some point when you pressed.

enjoy
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7