× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Want to change Network Password on N750 and connect to my extender which is a N300 Model

diverjerR
Aspirant

Want to change Network Password on N750 and connect to my extender which is a N300 Model

I currently have a N750 Model WNDR4300V2 and a N300 Model EX2700 extender, and all works well.  Has worked well for years.  However, some people in the family wants me to change the password to make it something simpler. 

I tries that without much success today.  It is easy to change password on the N750 from PC.

I get on Android tablet and view settings on the N300 Model EX2700 and don't find a place to put in the new password I just put in the N750.  Under Wireless settings I see my SSID which is Jer_EXT, channel number, wifi speed, and a field that says WiFi Password set same as existing network password.   Under the that password selection, I can select Same as existing or Use a different or None.  I am assuming this setting is for devices that connect to the N300 extender like TV, cameras, phones etc?  So I have it set as Same as Existing network.  I want the password to be the same to connect to Jer or Jer_EXT

Another setting I can see 7 devices are connected. 

Under Password, is a setting just to change my logon to the extender and 2 security questions in case I forget extender password.

Problem is I don't find anyplace to tell the extender the new password  I modifies on main wireless router N750 Model WNDR4300V2 via PC.   I put everything back to normal for now, but seems this should change and I am missing something.   Think I put this in back in 2015 and had no problems, but may have lost a few brain cell since then? 

Sorry for long post, hope it makes sense and not too many miss spellings. 

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
diverjerR
Aspirant

Re: Want to change Network Password on N750 and connect to my extender which is a N300 Model

Yes Laptop and android both can get to the Extender, the screen looks different than video, but haven't done factory reset.  better wait until tomorrow as people watching TV. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

factory reset the extender  and set it up using the installation assistant.

To factory reset, push and hold the reset button for 7-15 seconds while powered on. 

Here's a video of how to use the assistant. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJVklshxBMk

Message 2 of 7
diverjerR
Aspirant

My PC doesn't have any wireless connection.  Maybe I set up the network with Android tablet.  Then again maybe I used my laptop when I first set up that is wireless. 

But I don't believe I can get to extender from PC.  Don't find any wifi connection manager on PC. 

Thanks, will go find laptop and see if it finds the extender. 

Message 3 of 7
diverjerR
Aspirant

There is a WPS button on main router, but for some reason I have never used that, seems someone told me to do it manually?

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

You can try setting it up using the wps button. If it doesn't work, then factory reset and use the assistant. 

You can use the assistant by hardwiring your pc into the extender for setup

Message 5 of 7
diverjerR
Aspirant

Yes Laptop and android both can get to the Extender, the screen looks different than video, but haven't done factory reset.  better wait until tomorrow as people watching TV. 

Message 6 of 7
diverjerR
Aspirant

By hand wiring you mean just use a RJ14 Ethernet cable?   But it looks like I can use laptop or Tablet.  Thanks for your help.  Seems Netgear should let me logon extender and change SSID and/or network password without factor reset.  Most likely hardware was not designed for them to code those functions.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7