× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: We've unlocked the potential of our WiFi Extenders by adding WiFi Mesh!

Dustin_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We've unlocked the potential of our WiFi Extenders by adding WiFi Mesh!

tablet2.png

Our latest firmware update allows users of our EX6400 and EX7300 extenders to enjoy the benefits of WiFi Mesh! With a single WiFi Network Name and Smart Roaming, you can create a whole home seamless WiFi experience without making any changes to your existing network.

Improve your coverage and create a powerful WiFi Mesh System by downloading the latest FW today:

EX6400: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX6400.aspx#download

EX7300: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX7300.aspx#download

Tell us below how our Mesh Extenders has changed your WiFi experience.

Message 1 of 33
Frankelken
Aspirant

I am trying to update the software to the latest version with the Mesh ability, and keep getting error messages that the software is not the one for my EX 7300.  I followed the prompts for the EX7300.  Is anyone else having this problem or know the solution?

Model: EX7300|AC2200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 2 of 33
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Frankelken,

Welcome to the community.

To enjoy Mesh benefits, please make sure you enable one WiFi name on your extender and connect all your wireless devices to the router’s SSID. For instructions, click on link below:

https://kb.netgear.com/000044732/How-do-I-enable-or-disable-One-WiFi-Name-on-my-Nighthawk-X6S-Tri-ba...

Also, make sure your extender is updated to the latest FW version.

https://kb.netgear.com/000045264/How-do-I-update-the-firmware-on-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-WiFi-Range-Extend...

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 3 of 33
Dstorm323
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue.  I saved the firmware update V1.0.2.136 to my desktop but when I try to upload it I get an error message telling me the firmware file is incorrect.  I also notice the file path name to be C:\FAKEPATH\EX7300-EX6400-V....

My current firmware version is V1.0.1.78.  When I use the Genie to check for a firmware update online it's tellin me I have the latest version.

Message 4 of 33
TigerTiger
Tutor

Had similar issue.

I unzipped the file into a folder.  Copied the larger file to my desktop (not the one that looks like a website...that was an instruction page in my case),and pasted the larger unzipped file it the "Browse box" on the firmware upgrade spot.

I also did a factory reset as directed (red print lines), used WPS to router and it seems to work.  But my  2.4 and 5 Ghz LEDs are off (the power and WPS LEDs are lit).  Is this the way it should be?  That's my question to all.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 33
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @TigerTiger,

Welcome to the community!

1. To confirm, is the model number of your device the EX7300? If yes, that model does not have a 2.4GHz and 5GHz LED.

2. Are you referring to the router and client LED described on page 6 of the user manual on this link?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 33
TigerTiger
Tutor

Thank you for your reply.

Never looked carefully at the EX7300 as I also  use an EX7500 which has an abundance of LEDs.

Actually, it’s the “Router” LED and the 2 arrows that are unlit (not even amber) and the "Client" Link LED is solid green.

Now that I’ve paid attention to these details, does this indicate normal Mesh operation?

Thank you, again.

Message 7 of 33
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @TigerTiger,

Let me check on that.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 8 of 33
Voodoo_Child
Aspirant

I updated the firmware to the most current version successfully. I want to use the mesh feature so that I can seemlessly access the same SSID throughout the property. As I understand it, I need to now perform a factory reset to unlock the Mesh WiFi features. Is that the only task? What else would I need to do? Is there clear documentation someone can point me to? Thanks.

Model: EX6400|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 9 of 33
LinskyAda
Aspirant

I am using extenders and I should say it is working better than ever. Covers my entire floor without any issue. Goodwork NG! 

Message 10 of 33
staten7
Aspirant

When you say "Mesh" as I correct that you mean adding multiple extenders to your router? That's what I'm trying to accomplish but bought two EX2700s hoping I could use them to do this. Are you saying it isn't possible with the 2700 and that I need to send them back and exchange them with one of these two models to achieve this objective?

And do either of these two models support device-control via the extender for devices like the Google Chromecast?

Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender
Message 11 of 33
RJG202
Guide

I have a r7800 running smart connect.  I read the manual posted in this thread and trying to figure out if the EX7300 supports smart connect.  Also if the router broadcasts one ip which band does the extender connect to?  I don’t think a Triband extender gives me any benefit since the router is dual band.  I would like to have one name in my home using smart connect if available.

Message 12 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@RJG202 wrote:

I have a r7800 running smart connect.

Nighthawk extenders call this feature "one wifi name", which I think better describes it. 

That feature isn't listed in the EX7300 user manual, but it is on the Netgear product page ( https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/ex7300.aspx ).  I suspect the user manual is just a bit behind the newer branding.

@RJG202 wrote:

Also if the router broadcasts one ip which band does the extender connect to? 

The extender connects to a wifi network - using the network name (SSID).  It doesn't connect to an IP address.  With FastLane you choose whether you are connecting on 2.4g or 5g.  That only gives you a single band for your clients - one reason to get a triband extender.  More on that below.

@RJG202 wrote:

I don’t think a Triband extender gives me any benefit since the router is dual band. 

Actually it does offer significant benefits.  An extender is a relay - everything it receives from clients is forwarded to the router (and vice versa).  The router->extender link is often called the "backhaul".  Dual band extenders are doing this relaying with a single (shared) radio.  That shared radio can only do one thing at a time - first communicating with a client and then communicating with the router. So sharing the radio cuts the performance in half.

Triband extenders let you dedicate one 5G radio to the backhaul (using Netgear's FastLane feature), and use a different 5G radio with your devices.  The two radios operate independently - communicating with the client and the router at the same time. That eliminates the performance bottleneck that results when you share the radio.  This benefit is delivered even if the router is only dual band. 

Message 13 of 33
RJG202
Guide

@StephenB wrote:

Triband extenders let you dedicate one 5G radio to the backhaul (using Netgear's FastLane feature), and use a different 5G radio with your devices.  The two radios operate independently - communicating with the client and the router at the same time. That eliminates the performance bottleneck that results when you share the radio.  This benefit is delivered even if the router is only dual band. 

Thanks,  I think I understand that I can dedicate one 5GZ band on the triband extended to the backhaul base on what you mentioned.  Since my R7800 is dual band and I am now leaning towards a tri-band extender,  I have a few questions.  Can the router handle sharing the 5GHZ band with my local clients and the extender?  Should I have beam forming on and MU-MIMO on?  I am getting coverage in my 2 story home and basement but the basement tends to connect to 2.4 ghz band probably 30% of the time, the 5ghz band when it does connect it a little bit of a low signal, probably due to distance.  The router is on the middle floor right now,  that is why I was looking to extend.

I am not in no way a power user home,  maybe some video streaming via netflix, VPN and a few smart phones.

Message 14 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@RJG202 wrote:
Can the router handle sharing the 5GHZ band with my local clients and the extender?&nbsp

Yes.

@RJG202 wrote:
Should I have beam forming on and MU-MIMO on? 

It doesn't matter as far as the extender is concerned.

Personally I leave beam forming off.  If your smart phones support MU-MIMO, then you should turn that on.

Message 15 of 33
JMPinson
Aspirant

The EX7300 is a nightmare...I have 30 expereince in networing....the Netgear firmware does not properly download....the web page failes 404 not found...the ULR IP adress does not connect to the device when using CAT 6 connection...three phone calls to India Support and NOBODY knows how to update the NEEDED firmware or accesss, load the admin software....so the EX7300 cannot be updated and meshed into the WIFI network....the support people in India are GROSSLY undertrained....tried for 15 hours now to get a USA person...no luck there...I am now reading in Netgear posts that EVERYONE else is having the same problem with the EX7300 where i guess I have to give up now....dow ANYONE know how to PROPERLY update and configure, and mesh the EX7300??? ANYONE? ANYONE???

Message 16 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@JMPinson wrote:

I am now reading in Netgear posts that EVERYONE else is having the same problem

I don't think that's the case. Folks who succeed don't post their success.

Can you start a new thread?  Perhaps reset the extender, and then tell us at what point the set up process fails for you.  

Message 17 of 33
jkuan
Aspirant

I've installed the last fix to use mesh capabilities. But my devices (iphone 7) or mac does not change inmediately from Extender to my router. Looks like it works like always w/o any improvement,.

Model: EX6400|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 18 of 33
ozzcaddy
Aspirant

I had already downloaded the latest Firmware for my EX7000 extender, but never opened up its capabilities. Yesterday I setup FASTLANE and selected Option 2.4MHz between router and modem and 5GHz bteween router and device, and checked ONE NAME.

I use a laptop which both the laptop and modem/EX7000 are turned off overnight. When I turn both on, under the ONE NAME option my laptop is connecting to the modem at 2.4GHz. Once I disconnect from the network and reconnect, I then connect at 5GHz and eveything is great.

What causes me to have to disconnect and reconnect to access the 5GHz network of the EX7000? Or should I reset the router and not check the ONE NAME box and manually add another SSID for the 5GHz?

Thank you.

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 19 of 33
bamabillyp
Tutor

I could get much faster speeds when I manually selected the 5 Ghz extender SSID but now when I create the single WiFi name, it doesn't seem to ever select the faster one. I've even tested and reverted back and forth and as soon as I go back to broadcasting the invidual radios and manually select it, I can get aboug 150 Mbps. When I have the single WiFi SSID, I get about 10-20 which is more like what the 2.4 Ghz extender was providing. I've reset multiple times. 

Message 20 of 33
ozzcaddy
Aspirant

Thanks for your comments which I totally agree. It caused me more trouble then its worth, especially if the router is turned off. It seems to lose the configuration settings that is made and unable to make a internet connection. I ended up doing a full reset of the router and starting a fresh and just kept the Basic settings for both 2.4MHz and 5MHz.  

Netgear has tried to make basic Extender/Access Point routers to do more then what they were designed and capable of doing, by thinking that a Firmware Upgrade V1.0.1.78_1.0.140 will make it equal to the new mesh systems.

Message 21 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@ozzcaddy wrote:

Netgear has tried to make basic Extender/Access Point routers to do more then what they were designed and capable of doing, by thinking that a Firmware Upgrade V1.0.1.78_1.0.140 will make it equal to the new mesh systems.

The .78 firmware clearly has a bunch of issues, and Netgear is looking into them.

To your larger point: Netgear isn't aiming to make the mesh extenders the equal of a new mesh system like Orbi.  They are aiming at a point in between a traditional extender and a full mesh system.  As far as I can see that is possible with current hardware, and there are some emerging specs from the WiFi alliance (EasyMesh) that would make this easier to do this with future routers.   They've hit a bump in the road, but that doesn't mean they won't reach the desired destination.

Message 22 of 33
bamabillyp
Tutor

Agree and I did the same thing - just reverted back to the individual SSIDs and have to manaully toggled to select the best one. For example, I can be on my primary SSID in my living room and next to the main router, but when I walk back to my bedroom, the signal is poor but I have to manually select the "_EXT" SSIDs. Once I do, I get a better signal. 

I could have just paid a fraction fo the cost and got the AC750 since I'm doing the same thing. 

Model: EX7500|AC2200 Nighthawk X4S Tri Band Wall Plug WiFi Range Extender
Message 23 of 33
ozzcaddy
Aspirant

I had received 2 emails regarding this new Firmware Upgrade. The first email received was on 29 Sept '18, for the following subject: "We've Enhanced Your Product's Security. Please Update to the Latest Firmware". As it was to do with security, I downloaded and installed the new Firmware immediately.

The second email was received on 9th October '18, boasting how I can turn my Netwgear EX7000 Extender/Access Point router into a poweful wifi mesh. Here is the actual wording of part of the email:  "Upgrade your existing EX7000 Range Extender into a powerful WiFi Mesh! We're announcing a new firmware upgrade that will improve your coverage and works with your home WiFi to create a powerful WiFi System for your entire home". 

It was not a 'NEW' firmware upgrade, it was exactly the same Firmware that I had installed for security as per the email. To how I read the exerpt, Netgear is trying to make it equal to the Orbi system, not in the middle as you mentioned. If Netgear new that there were problems with this firmware update, then why release it OR why send a second email about turning my EX7000 router into a powerful wifi mesh. There are no excuses for such large companies such as Netgear for releasing updates that have not been fully and robustly tested. I put this equal to Microsofts reecnt October '18 Windows 10, which deletes personal files from the computer it was installed on. 

Message 24 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@ozzcaddy wrote:

To how I read the exerpt, Netgear is trying to make it equal to the Orbi system, not in the middle as you mentioned.

Orbi remains the premium mesh solution and the wording in the email doesn't contradict that.  Technically, the mesh extenders need to work with any router, and that does put some limits on what can be done.  This is not to say that the mesh extenders can't work well (despite the firmware issues with .78).  Just that the goal with the extenders is to provide a flexible mesh solution that doesn't require you to fully replace your existing wifi system.  It's not intended to replace Orbi.

@ozzcaddy wrote:

There are no excuses for such large companies such as Netgear for releasing updates that have not been fully and robustly tested.

It definitely was a miss that has created a lot of issues for customers - as the volume of posts on this update confirms.  Hopefully they will get the fixes needed in place soon.

Message 25 of 33
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7