× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Week signal AC1200 EX 6120 Wifi Extener

starla
Aspirant

Week signal AC1200 EX 6120 Wifi Extener

I've had poor signal in a room of my house that's normally fine since I added the extender a couple years ago.  I decided to unplug it and plug it back in to see if that helps but it did not.  When I sign on to Netgear it appears to be functioning ok.  

The WPS light is not on does that have anything to do with my problem?  

How can I diagnose, I'm definately not a computer person...  Just want to be able to watch netflix in our movie room again.

Message 1 of 12
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @starla, welcome to the community! What color is the router link LED (top left)? Is the extender located in an area where it still gets a good signal from your main router?

Dexter

Message 2 of 12
starla
Aspirant

Yes its getting good signal in it's current location.  Been here for a year or more with no problems.  Problem just started after the first of the year.

Message 3 of 12
starla
Aspirant

Its green

Message 4 of 12
plemans
Guru

@starla wrote:

I've had poor signal in a room of my house that's normally fine since I added the extender a couple years ago.  I decided to unplug it and plug it back in to see if that helps but it did not.  When I sign on to Netgear it appears to be functioning ok.  

The WPS light is not on does that have anything to do with my problem?  

How can I diagnose, I'm definately not a computer person...  Just want to be able to watch netflix in our movie room again.

Define poor signal. Many times a device can show less bars of service but still be getting full speeds. 

What speeds do you get over 2.4ghz? 5ghz?

What router are you using?

Speeds you pay for? 

Speed that you get hardwired into the router? speeds over 2.4ghz/5ghz directly from the router?

Have you tried changing the wifi channels on the router? Mabye there's interfernce on the channel your on.

What is your house materials made of?

How far from the router is the extender? 

do you have the extender setup in fastlane mode?

Another thing to check is to log into the extender to check your signals from the router. The led's on the front don't show the difference from 2.4ghz to 5ghz. 

You can also try moving the extender around a little. Sometimes hvac within walls, foil lined insulation, or even metal backing from tv's/furniture can block the signal between router/extender. Moving laterally to a different outlet or closer/further can impact signals quite significantly. 

Message 5 of 12
starla
Aspirant

Poor signal in that it will not load movies from netflix, or other movie channels nor will it load news broadcasts in that room.  A couple rooms are slower but this one is farther from the unit.  I've unplugged it and plugged back in no help.  As I recall I had a four green lights but now only have 3.  Not sure if there was a light on for WPS or if it was the one below it but there are no lights on there now just Power, Router and device are lit up.  Once I installed the booster a couple years ago I've had great reception in all rooms and on patios.  Now its back to being as bad as it was before installation.  

Starla

Message 6 of 12
plemans
Guru

@starla wrote:

Poor signal in that it will not load movies from netflix, or other movie channels nor will it load news broadcasts in that room.  A couple rooms are slower but this one is farther from the unit.  I've unplugged it and plugged back in no help.  As I recall I had a four green lights but now only have 3.  Not sure if there was a light on for WPS or if it was the one below it but there are no lights on there now just Power, Router and device are lit up.  Once I installed the booster a couple years ago I've had great reception in all rooms and on patios.  Now its back to being as bad as it was before installation.  

Starla

Starla. 

Thanks for responding. There's a whole bunch more questions that need answers to help you. If you're car wasn't running right you wouldn't tell the mechanic over the phone that its slow and when he asks for more details only say "it doesn't hit full speed". we need details as we aren't there to look at your setup or whats going on. Look back at the prior comment from me and try and help us to help you. 

thanks

Message 7 of 12
starla
Aspirant

My router is a Umbiquity. according to my service provider I'm getting Download 6.0 mbps Upload 3.7 Mbps Latency 33.81.

My home inside is wood frame. The extender is about 35 feet from the router but it's been in this position since I bought it a couple years ago with NO problems.

The WPS light is not on and as I recall its always been on (could be wrong) is this indicating a problem? Sorry my knowledge on this stuff is minimum.

Message 8 of 12
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @starla, did you setup different names for your main WiFi and your extender's WiFi?

Dexter

Message 9 of 12
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @starla, I would like to follow up and check if you are still experiencing the issue.

Dexter

Message 10 of 12
starla
Aspirant

Yes I'm still having trouble!  Thought I had it fixed but apparently when there is a lot of traffic in the evenings I'm still not getting the signal I once was.  I'm very frustrated with this type of support for my device.  I'd really like to talk to someone via chat or phone or email.  How can I get this type of help?

Starla

Message 11 of 12
plemans
Guru

@starla wrote:

Yes I'm still having trouble!  Thought I had it fixed but apparently when there is a lot of traffic in the evenings I'm still not getting the signal I once was.  I'm very frustrated with this type of support for my device.  I'd really like to talk to someone via chat or phone or email.  How can I get this type of help?

Starla

What speeds do you get over 2.4ghz? 5ghz?

What router model are you using? Ubiquity is a brand.

Speeds you pay for? 

Speed that you get hardwired into the router? speeds over 2.4ghz/5ghz directly from the router?

Have you tried changing the wifi channels on the router? Mabye there's interfernce on the channel your on.

What is your house materials made of?

How far from the router is the extender? 

do you have the extender setup in fastlane mode?

Another thing to check is to log into the extender to check your signals from the router. The led's on the front don't show the difference from 2.4ghz to 5ghz. 

You can also try moving the extender around a little. Sometimes hvac within walls, foil lined insulation, or even metal backing from tv's/furniture can block the signal between router/extender. Moving laterally to a different outlet or closer/further can impact signals quite significantly.

You also put you want to talk to someone on the phone. You can do that. click "mynetgear" at the top. You'll need to register an account and your device. After that there's a section to contact support. Keep in mind that support costs $ if you're after the 90 days of purchase. The community forum is setup for helping people out for free.  

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7