× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: What Do I need to Replace R6700v3 System?

Eldrod
Tutor

What Do I need to Replace R6700v3 System?

I have a current setup with a CM1000 ethernet-connected to a R6700v3 (first floor) and connecting wirelessly to an EX7000 (third floor).  The second floor seems to be spotty, so I wanted to upgrade the system.  I'm looking at keeping the CM1000, and replacing the 3rd floor extender with an EX8000 to get me into the tri-band and faster backhaul rates.  What router should I consider to replace the R6700v3 that would optimize my connectivity to the EX8000?   Thanks!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Much better performance using the cm1000 versus the orbi with integrated modem. Definitely keep your cm1000. It's a solid modem

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

If you're planning on buying another router and another extender, I'd just skip it and go directly to a full mesh system like orbi. The mesh extenders work well but they don't work that great when you have more than 1. Reason why nothing is controlling it. with orbi, its got the router controlling the system. plus you can add satellites to it as needed. 

And by the time you buy a new router and the ex8000, you're basically in the price range for the rbk43 or rbk53 system. 

Message 2 of 7
Eldrod
Tutor

Thanks!  I'll check into Orbi as I've not looked into it before.  Also, while my existing system supports mesh, I don't actually use it since the firmware on the router (post v1.0.2.62_10.0.46) didn't ever seem to work.  After getting burned with flaky firmware updates, I just stayed on that version.  I would prefer to have a working mesh, however.  Does Orbi do that? 

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

Orbi's whole purpose is running in mesh with a single ssid for all device and running band steering. Its worked great for me. 

I'd make sure to look for the triband orbi's. They just came out with a dual band version and I'm not really sold on it performance wise. The tri-band setups have been great. 

Message 4 of 7
Eldrod
Tutor

I'm looking at the RBK50 as a complete replacement, but I need a cable modem.  Is there a cable version of the Orbi Router AC3000 (RBK50) or can I just connect the router to my existing CM1000 modem?  Any performance cons to that idea?

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

Much better performance using the cm1000 versus the orbi with integrated modem. Definitely keep your cm1000. It's a solid modem
Message 6 of 7
Eldrod
Tutor

Excellent suggestions for the Orbi RBS50.  I replaced the Nighthawk with the Orbi and now I have a much faster home network with a mesh that actually work. Thanks!

@plemans wrote:

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7