× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What do I need?

What do I need?

To be honest, I don't know whether I need an AP, Range extender, or another router. I hope I explain this correctly.
My current setup is a WNDR4000. That's it. Works well but doesn't cever my entire house. I have the 4000 cabled to my cable modem for internet service and all devices connect to the unit wirelessly.
I have just freed up a cat5 that, conveniently, runs from within 10' of my cable modem to the extreme end of my house. This gave me the idea of using a 2nd Netgear device to allow wifi coverage for my entire house. I have read articles and searched Netgear.com but can't find the answer.
Would I be better off to attach a 2nd router to the 'freed' cable and get complete wifi coverage, use a range extender, or connect an AP?
Message 1 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: What do I need?

if you are not going to have CAT5 close to remote end then get extender such as wn2500rp
Message 2 of 4

Ah, but the cat5 runs from near the current cable modem/router to a near-perfect spot on the other end of the house. Thus, I can connect (cable) any device I want. What I need to know is which would give the best signal/benefit.
Message 3 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

use any router as an access point

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965
above is posted thousand times

or

get access point model. ex wn802T

Most will just get wireless router and turn in to AP.. get another 4000
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors