× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: What does this mean? "Keep existing WiFi settings for 2.4/5Ghz Network"

DeeBeeEff
Aspirant

What does this mean? "Keep existing WiFi settings for 2.4/5Ghz Network"

"Keep existing WiFi settings for 2.4/5Ghz Network"
Forgive me if I am being dense, but the above checkbox appears at the bottom of the Netgear Genie Wireless page and I have not been able to find out what this means.
I thank you for your time and your help.

Thanks,

Dave

Model: EX6200|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

The EX6200 has just two radios (one for each band), as such I. Extender mode the AP and the link to the primary wireless router (assuming you extend both the 2.4 and the 5 GHz networks) must run on the same channel like the primary wireless router.

The extenders are pure L2 devices (correct spoken they do MAC translation), the DHCP assignment is done by your primary router. Due to the MAC translation, the clients will get different IP addresses than on the primary wireless router, an IP-MAC reservation is only possible for one set commonly.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

The same wireless keys (and names ... sometimes with some postfixes like _EXT, _2GEXT _5GEXT ) as used on your primary router will be configured on the new extender access point.

Message 2 of 5
DeeBeeEff
Aspirant

Thanks for your very quick response.

Does this have any impact on WiFi channel assignments, IP addresses, etc?

Thanks,

Dave

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

The EX6200 has just two radios (one for each band), as such I. Extender mode the AP and the link to the primary wireless router (assuming you extend both the 2.4 and the 5 GHz networks) must run on the same channel like the primary wireless router.

The extenders are pure L2 devices (correct spoken they do MAC translation), the DHCP assignment is done by your primary router. Due to the MAC translation, the clients will get different IP addresses than on the primary wireless router, an IP-MAC reservation is only possible for one set commonly.
Message 4 of 5
DeeBeeEff
Aspirant

Thank you!

I unchecked it and restarted and nothing happened. Smiley LOL

Thanks,

Dave

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies