× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: What should i buy ?!?

spikerz
Aspirant

What should i buy ?!?

Hi to all,

I've two houses. I should bring internet in the second house.

In my first house i've a modem router DG834G v3. Very soon it will come a R7000.

Now the problem, i don't know what i've should to buy in the second house to bring the internet collection. I've to buy an access point or a range extender ?!?

I currently have an access point netgear WG602 with a 54mb with an external antenna pointing to the first house, but the connection is slow.

How can I fix the problem?!?

The two houses are about 20 meters away and there are no obstacles.

Thanks a lot.
Message 1 of 24
spikerz
Aspirant

In the second house i've installed an access point or a range extender ?!?
Message 2 of 24
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You would need some external antenna capable AP to strength the signal at main home and or from the second house. Extender products do not able to connect external antenna with netgear extender products.

20M is @60ft and with line sight should be an issues if there is no other wireless signal that also may weaken.

If current WG602 can de-attach the antenna then you may want to look external antenna (directional antenna)
Message 3 of 24
spikerz
Aspirant

What product do you recommend to buy ?!?

I've the R7000 such as router in first house. I can't connect any external antenna to R7000 in the first house, so i can use only the external antenna in the second house.

But what instruments i have to buy to take the wifi signal from the first house ?!?

Access point or range extender ?!?

Is it better to buy it with 2.4 or 5 GHz band?!?

I would like take advantage of the same speed as the R7000.

Thanks a lot.
Message 4 of 24
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You can test out with as is with R7000 first and see results
Message 5 of 24
spikerz
Aspirant

Ok, before to buy another access point i'll test the features of the r7000 in house one and the access point netgear WG602 with has mounted an external antenna TL-ANT2414A in house two.

For you if the performance is not fulfilled what I could buy, but considering that I can only act on the equipment in the house number two and not in house number one where there is the R7000.

An external access point ?!?

A range extender ?!?

A most powerfull antenna ?!? Actually my antenna is external 14DB.

Thanks a lot for your experience 😉
Message 6 of 24
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

If you have external antenna on WG602 then I don't see an issues
Message 7 of 24
spikerz
Aspirant

yeah i've installed an antenna on WG602. We consider that the signal arrives perfectly but for me the speed of wifi is slow. In what way can i increase the speed of wifi ?!? Changing access point and buy an access point wifi ac ?!? Buy a range extender replacing the access point ?!? Buy an antenna with better performance.

Otherwise today i'll do some test, i'll tell you how many db is the wifi signal where's there is the access point WG602.

Thanks a lot.
Message 8 of 24
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

If you repeat from AP it will be half duplex so that is one loss of performance.

Run solid cables in the ground would be your most performance. Don't take the convenient and try run the cables. 🙂
Message 9 of 24
spikerz
Aspirant

It's more difficult run the cables from the two houses. 🙂 I know it would be the best solution.

I'll try to set up R7000 such as repeater with the other access point that have the antenna in the second house.

I've only a question, in what way i've set up the R7000 ?!? Wireless repeater or wireless base station ?!? In both case i've to use onyl wifi 54mb and wep key ?!? Can i use wpa-psk key and a faster speed of wifi ?!?

Thanks a lot.
Message 10 of 24
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You need AC capable adapter on PC to max the r7000 and wpa2 is need it

Also repeating itself will be limited to no security . There is AC extender. So I would buy that too
Message 11 of 24
spikerz
Aspirant

So for you with an ac extender i fix my issue ?!?

But i've need to connect the antenna at ac extender to take the signal from house two to house one.

So is there a range extender ac where can i connect an external antenna and i can use speed wifi ac and wpa-psk key ?!?
Message 12 of 24
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

R7000 has external antenna with three antenna so should reach if there is no major interference
Message 13 of 24
spikerz
Aspirant

Ok R7000 has three antenna but in the second house if i don't connect the external antenna at the access point wg602, the access point does not receive the signal. I've configured R7000 in base station with the wg602. In wg602 i've configured the function point to multi point because i've another access point wg602 in the second house upstairs. I bought R7000 to use the speed ac of the wifi. Can you explain me why i can not use this feature if i set R7000 in base station ?!?
Message 14 of 24
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I didn't say you can't

If you have two WG point to point then first one wired to main router and should be an issues
Message 15 of 24
spikerz
Aspirant

But i've the R7000 in first house and two WG602 access point in the second house. One downstairs the other at the second floor. Downstairs in the second house i've the access point WG602 with has connected the external antenna that look the window of the first house of the room where there's the R7000. The other access point is always in second house but at the second floor. I've configured it in point to point with the mac address of the access point at downstairs while the access point at downstairs with the external antenna i've configured it point to multipoint because i've used two mac address, one of R7000 and one of the access point upstairs. The R7000 in first house i've configured as base station with mac address of the access point in the second house downstairs. When i say external antenna of the access point in second house downstairs i refer to this https://www.google.it/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=gc5ijOc1KC8tWM... I've put this antenna outdoor from the window of the second house and the antenna look the window of the room of the first house where there's the R7000. So if i could not use the cable from house one to house two... What should i buy to take the advantage of the speed wifi ac in the second house ?!? Thanks a lot.
Message 16 of 24
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Oh.. Well you will only setup by no security but able to use 802.11ac setting to have WG to connect via repeater setup may fail

I would say you need 802.11ac extender

This seething you need to buy and test see

Otherwise running cable is on horizon. I assume power circuit is separate so power lime device can not be used.

I would also search 802.11 extender that has external antenna capable
Message 17 of 24
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Not sure EX6200's antenna is detachable. If so then that is what you want.

Contact netgear to verify it
Message 18 of 24
spikerz
Aspirant

Sorry one question... But with the R7000 is not possible set wds point to multipoint configuration ?!?

Because before when i used the DG834G v3 i've configured it in wds with two access point WG602.

The configuration was:

DG834G v3 set wds point to point with mac address of the first access point AP1

AP1 set wds in point to multi point with two mac address: one of the DG834G v3 and the other mac address of AP2.

AP2 set wds point to point with only a mac address of the AP1.

I can't do this configuration with R7000 ?!? IS IT ONLY THE FUNCTION REPEATER OR BASE STATION ?!?
Message 19 of 24
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I do not own one.. refer to manual..
Message 20 of 24
spikerz
Aspirant

Please help me.

I've tried all the possible configuration but doesn't work. I've tried repeater and base station with the two mac address of the access point but doesn't work.

If i use one access point, the access point with the antenna works great. When i configure the second access point in wds point to point with the mac address of the first access point internet doesn't work. I've tried to add to R7000 configured in base station all the two mac address of the access point but doesn't work.

I've a question... All the two access point have to see the wifi signal of the R7000 or only the access point 1 with the antenna have to see the wifi signal of the R7000 and the access point 2 send the signal to access point 1 that it see the wifi siagnal of R7000 ?!?
Message 21 of 24
spikerz
Aspirant

I checked the manual of the R7000. I could not understand in the configuration base station if having two access points both APs are obliged to pick up the wifi signal R7000 router or an access point only needs to engage the wifi signal of R7000 router and then the second access point enough that attaches to the first access point to be able to go on the internet.
Message 22 of 24
spikerz
Aspirant

Someone can help me ?!?
Message 23 of 24
spikerz
Aspirant

I don't understand if each access point have to see the router wifi signal or not. or is it sufficient that only the first access point, see the wifi signal of the router and then repeats it to the second access point. Thanks.
Message 24 of 24
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7