× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What single outlet surge protector will work with Powerline adapters?

solidsolutions
Aspirant

What single outlet surge protector will work with Powerline adapters?

We've had two recent lightning strikes including one the other day that was less than 100 yards away - it's SW Florida so you've got to accept that.  The previous one wiped out the transformer.  I have 3 powerline units currently installed and I'm going to help several other neighbors with their new installs as we just got cable internet.  Most of my equipment is on either a UPS or quality surge protectors but the Powerline units are plugged right into an outlet.  What's a good single outlet surge protector that won't cause problems for my Powerline units - peferably something I can buy at a local store?

Model: PL1010|PowerLINE 1000 adapter
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: What single outlet surge protector will work with Powerline adapters?

there's not a good answer for this.  I've had protectors work fine for some adapters/usages and then upgraded powerline devices, and it doesn't work.

Here's from netgears FAQ on surge protectors:

Can I plug my powerline adapter into a power strip, surge protector, Uninterruptible Power upplies (UPS) or extension cord?

No. NETGEAR does not recommend using power strips, surge protectors, UPS and extension cords with Powerline products.  These devices filter out some or all of the high frequency signals used in Powerline communications. Connecting a Powerline to one of these devices can greatly reduce the data rate of transfers, or block communications entirely.

What I'd do if you need a surge protector is this:

1. speedtest the current setup.

2. buy a couple different protectors.

3. speed test each one. Find which one works the best for your setup and use that one. Return the others. 

Your other option would be to install a whole home surge protector. Its recommended a professional install one of these but if you get storms frequent enough, it might be a good idea and worth the cost. 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7