× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What to Buy??

davidloepp
Aspirant

What to Buy??

Today is the day for decision making. My Linksys EA9500 has been acting up lately. 3-1/2 years old but having connectivity issues. So I have 3 units in mind. Orbi RBK50/ Orbi PRO/ AX80 Router. Now I know WI-FI 6 is starting to come out and devices capable of using that won’t be out till later. So I buy old technology like the Wi-Fi 5 or should I future proof and get the Wi-Fi 6 AX80 Router or wait for Orbi Wi-Fi 6 to come out as well. If I’m going to be spending 400 dollars I ready buy something new rather then old. Please give me some advice. Thanks
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: What to Buy??

Would be up to you to future proof with Wifi 6 or just go with WiFi 5 for now. Orbi has matured mostly in FW and does work well. With any new tech that comes to market, there will be growing pains as well so you may see issues with WiFi 6. You may want to let the dust settle some before adopting new tech. Ive had great experiences wtih my 40 series Orbi and have recommended the 50 series to my friend which bought one and has been enjoying it since installation about two years ago. 

@davidloepp wrote:
Today is the day for decision making. My Linksys EA9500 has been acting up lately. 3-1/2 years old but having connectivity issues. So I have 3 units in mind. Orbi RBK50/ Orbi PRO/ AX80 Router. Now I know WI-FI 6 is starting to come out and devices capable of using that won’t be out till later. So I buy old technology like the Wi-Fi 5 or should I future proof and get the Wi-Fi 6 AX80 Router or wait for Orbi Wi-Fi 6 to come out as well. If I’m going to be spending 400 dollars I ready buy something new rather then old. Please give me some advice. Thanks

Message 2 of 6
davidloepp
Aspirant

Yes I understand with new technology comes issues with firmware and well as hardware. And it’s not so much of future proofing my house. I just can’t see shelling out 350-400 for an Orbi system and then a year later when Wi-Fi 6 should be solid and spend another 350-400. For my 3 bedroom house 1300 sq ft house my router does fine. It’s just 3 years old. Linksys EA9500. But I believe the Mesh system can handle devices 20 and up better. What I really want is to keep the 500-570mbps that I get everywhere in my house and push those same speeds out into front and backyard at least 75 feet in any direction. Any recommendations on accomplishing this. I wouldn't mind loosing a little speed but I want at least 300 anywhere inside and anywhere outside within that 75 ft perimeter of my house.
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Well the Orbi is going on two plus years old and still has some issues. So don't think a product should be stable after a year after it's been out. Theoretically it should, however doesn't seem to be the case:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/bd-p/Orbi

Can review some of the issues. Some has been a autoupdate issue with manual FW loads and factory resets that resolve most of this. Some of the issues are user configurations. Some are placement and environmental caused, some are in FW. 

If your not having any issues and your thinking about WiFi 6, then keep what you have and maybe get a EX extender unit for time being to help with some single coverage around the house if you think you need it. Then when it comes time for WiFi 6, then make a choice then. I like my EX7700. I have a friend that has the EX8000 loves his. 

Message 4 of 6
davidloepp
Aspirant

Wow. That’s a lot for a house. I figured it either a router with Access Points
( Prefer these over Extenders)
Or a Mesh Units with additional Satellites.
I just can’t see an Orbi plus a Router. Seems overkill but I don’t know what devices you have running. I’m kinda swaying toward the
NETGEAR AX8 and just adding an Access Point in the front and one in the back. I think this could work well versus a Orbi and Router. What’s your thoughts on that. Thanks.
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

1300st feet you shouldn't need more than a base router and 1 satellite or 1 extender. 

My 40 series Orbi with 1 satellite at 40 feet inbetween handles my 5000sq ft home just fine Same goes for my XR450 and EX7700 in same locations when I use them instead of the Orbi. ZERO issues. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7