× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Which product do i need?! Have BT Wi-Fi, can't get it all around the house

stevebarratt75
Aspirant

Which product do i need?! Have BT Wi-Fi, can't get it all around the house

Hi

I have 900mb BT FTTP and the standard BT router that comes with that. I live in a 2 year old 4 bed detached, not enormous and certainly not thick walls and am having real trouble getting both speed and consistent connection to the upstairs area. I've tried powerlines from TP Link, Devolo and also BTs own mini connectors and only get 55-140mb at best. These speeds are to very modern laptops/gaming PC

I believe that the electrics being on separate circuits may be causing some of the issue so i'm now planning to try the following. Run an ethernet cable out the back of the router directly upstairs and into some kind of range extender or access point. This way the device is receiving the full signal straight from the router down a dedicated cable. The question is what device do i need at the end of it?! It will sit in my sons bedroom where i'd like to be able to run ethernet cables to both his gaming pc and xbox so needs at least 3 ports (1 in and 2 out?) and then also repeat the wifi netweork name and password from downstairs across the rest of the house

Any advice appreciated

Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Which product do i need?! Have BT Wi-Fi, can't get it all around the house

Either way, if establishing some network cable(s) form the router is feasible, there are much better (and less expensive) solutions available than anything else..

If you need just one wireless access point, look into Netgear's Essential Wireless Access Point models WAX204 WiFi 6/802.1ax or the WAC124 802.11ac. These devices offer multiple Gigbit Ethernet ports to connect loca devices in that access point area.

If you intend to deploy multiple wireless access points, head to Netgear Wireless Access Points and filter for "Mesh" - this will give you options on WAC5xx (802.11ac) and WAX6xx (WiFi 6/802.11ax) - ideally powered by a PoE resp. PoE+ switch, a non-managed can be sufficient, however a cloud/remote manageable one makes it nicer, and set-up everything with Netgear Insight.

Budget allowing, wnd when doing more than one access point I'd go with the Insight solution on WiFi 6 - How to Setup a Basic Network | NETGEAR Insight - just use the [Scan Network] as shown wiht the ReadyNAS is the most easy way. Disadvantage of PoE is that you need two cables to the room where you want additional wired devices by adding a small switch - so plan wisely. 

Message 2 of 3
stevebarratt75
Aspirant

Re: Which product do i need?! Have BT Wi-Fi, can't get it all around the house

That's great, thank you.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7