× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Why get an extender instead of another router and configuring it?

levander
Aspirant

Why get an extender instead of another router and configuring it?

I've got a WNDR3700 I need to extend the range of. My house is a little too big for it. There are 3 rooms all together on the very far end of the house that don't have enough coverage.

I'm looking at a WN2500RP. But, is there a technological advantage of getting that over another Netgear wireless router and just configuring the router to do it, via bridging or whatever else would work better?

I understand there's a price difference, the WN2500RP is a little cheaper. But, getting another router, I could use it for different things in the future maybe. So, there's that advantage of getting the router...

Is it just easier to set it all up if I get a WN2500RP to do the extending? Or, are there actual technological differences that a Netgear extender will do, but a Netgear router won't do? Would these differences be actual hardware differences? Or, would they just be software that Netgear hasn't developer for their routers?

I assume I could do it by buying a Netgear router and configuring it. But, would it be better to do it with a Netgear extender? Like, would it be faster?
Message 1 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Why get an extender instead of another router and configuring it?

NO..

repeating ONLY with WEP ONLY.. wasting money.. use extender

http://vpncasestudy.com/download/WDS/WDS_Concept.pdf
Message 2 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

extender is extender.. nothing different with other model other than single band or dual band
Message 3 of 6
levander
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
extender is extender.. nothing different with other model other than single band or dual band

Could a WNDR3700 (or other product marketed by Netgear as a wireless router) be used as an extender?
Message 4 of 6
levander
Aspirant

Ah June, sorry. Somehow I missed your post that's #2 in this thread.

WEP ONLY is a negative that's not acceptable to me. That document you link to mentions it's okay because it's not like the Pentagon will hack into my house and break the encryption on my repeater. However, there are teenagers in this neighborhood, and they live very close by... I'd rather the Pentagon be the concern. If they did it, I'd probably never notice the difference anyway.

But that document has notes in it saying that the router it is about, the DG834G supports WPA/2 for repeating as of May, 14 2009 in later revisions. It's 2012 now. Netgear still isn't supporting WPA/2 for repeating in their routers?
Message 5 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

same doc works on ALL and WEP is MUST.....
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7