× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WiFi Range Extender Model EX6100v2

ELHANSON
Follower

WiFi Range Extender Model EX6100v2

I purchased a Netgear WiFi Range Extender Model: EX6100v2 about a month ago.  It took a bit more time to set up than I had expected.  But I finally got it installed and working.  Everything worked great for about the first 2 &1/2 weeks, then all of the sudden a few days ago, I started having problems with the connections.  During the initial set up, I choose to set up both the 2.4GHz AND the 5GHz. Both have the same password, and both seem to have the same signal strength.  But for some reason, now, the extender seems to hop back and forth between the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz all by itself. This of course, takes a few minuets ( or seconds) for the switch to actually take place and inbetween I loose the entire signal.  At first I could just manually select the 5GHz when this happened and tell my device to forget the other 2.4GHz and it would stay on that for an hour or so, or it seemed to all shut down if I left my device (Iphone, tablet, or laptop) for a few minuets. I have to do a reset on the extender and a reset on my device and it usually all comes back up working properly for a while.  Sometimes I have to go to the router and start the reset from that point.  The past few days, it just seems like it is getting worse and constantly trying to change itself to the different GHz. Thus leaving me no connection for a lot of time.  It just bounces back and forth seemingly out the blue for no reason.  It is really getting annoying as I spend more time having to reset everything and wait for it all to come back up than I do actually using my WiFi.  I have thought about just reinstalling the entire system and only using the 5GHz, but if there is a way to keep them both without this jumping back and forth,  I would rather keep it the way I set up in the first place.  Any Ideas?  How can I stop this from jumping back and forth?  I can't understand why it worked great for a couple of weeks, and for no apparent reason now I have this problem that really seems like it is getting worse everyday. (I used to have a Samsung table that did the same thing on an older NetGear extender.) I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas to get this running b

Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: WiFi Range Extender Model EX6100v2

@ELHANSON wrote:

But for some reason, now, the extender seems to hop back and forth between the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz all by itself. 

Do you mean your devices are hopping back and forth?  If you aren't using FastLane (and it sounds like you aren't), then the extender should always be extending both networks.  Your devices then choose which network they want to connect to (extenders and APs can provide hints, but the decision to connect to a different network is up to the client devices).

If your devices are all capable of 5 ghz, then you could try disabling the 2.4 ghz radio in the extender, and see if that gives you stable performance.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7