× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WiFi Router (RAX80) to replace my Huawei HG659 router?

wangzx0417
Aspirant

WiFi Router (RAX80) to replace my Huawei HG659 router?

Hi,

I am considering to buy tthe RAX80 to replace my current Huawei HG659 Wifi router provided by my nbn provider TPG. But not sure if it is 100% compatible, can anyone please help advise here?

I am currently using a nbn50 plan through TPG. Due to a long and two-storey house, the Wifi is not as stable and high performance as I would like to have (even I am using a Wifi extender TP-Link RE450). Normally we have about 10 devices connected simultaneously and at least 2 for streaming purpose. 

TPG (as well as other nbn service providers) currently does not provde Wifi 6 routers. If I replace with a Wifi 6 router, such as RAX80, TPG would say 'good luck' with my own setups and configurations. So I need some assurance here before I decide to buy.

The other issue is that my HG659 has one Voice Port which is currently used for an IP phone with the number allocated by TPG, and I would like to continue using. I understand that RAX80 does not have a Voice Port. So what could be the solution options here? Should I consider to buy a new IP phone with RJ45 port to connect to RAX80, or an adpater? Will RAX80 support the IP phone? 

Thanks 

Max 

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: WiFi Router (RAX80) to replace my Huawei HG659 router?

The AX spec has a little more distance than AC but not much. Reason why is broadcast power is the same. It only gets more range because its a little more efficient with a lower signal. so going to AX isn't going to get your a whole lot more range. It definitely won't beat the old router and extender combination. 

If you're having issues with coverage that the current router and extender can't meet, I'd look at upgrading to a mesh system and not a single router and extender solution. There designed for those types of situations and you can add satellites as needed for additional coverage. 

In terms of wanting to keep your current router for the voice option, you can do that. Just make sure to put the device/router that you add to it in access point mode to prevent a double nat. 

Message 2 of 5
wangzx0417
Aspirant

Thanks for your advice.

The reason I was considering the wifi router replacement was I thought the wifi router, being a AC router would be the bottleneck of the network speed. Wifi 6 (AX) was meant to be at least 1.5 faster than AC plus other features.

Now I am re-considering the Mesh systems 

Regards

Max

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

AX is faster if you have AX devices. 

How many devices do you have? it can help with speeds if you have a lot of devices broadcasting at the same time

Message 4 of 5
wangzx0417
Aspirant

About 10 devices connected simultaneously. Most of them do not support AX yet.

Regards
Max
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7