× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WiFi drops connection every 2-5 minutes, slower speeds over ethernet(AC1200 - EX6120)

le0nszn
Aspirant

WiFi drops connection every 2-5 minutes, slower speeds over ethernet(AC1200 - EX6120)

Idk whats up with this, but I can't return it on amazon. I'm just trying to connect my gaming computer through ethernet and get around the same download speed but instead im getting half / worseScreenshot_2.png. My room is on the same floor as the router just through some walls. To use my computer I need an ethernet connection and I'm not running a ethernet cable throughout my whole house just for some internet. On ethernet I get around 90mbps when my original wifi connection is 110 mbps. I did all the troubleshoot steps, I talked to amazon, talked to netgear on email. None of that stuff helps. I just want some actual good troubleshooting steps (not the basic, reset, update firmware I KNOW ALL OF IT). If not please give me a refund

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: WiFi drops connection every 2-5 minutes, slower speeds over ethernet(AC1200 - EX6120)

1. this is the public support forum where members of the public try to help out. We're not netgear. We can try to help you but getting upset at us or asking us for refunds, isn't going to help. We're people just like you trying to help. 

2. Some actual details might help. like 

• router its connecting to
  • firmware on the extender
  • what are the walls made of?
  • an extender thats hardwired isn't going to provide faster speeds than a wireless connection at that same point. what speeds do you get with your phone/tablet/laptop in that spot
  • what actual speeds do you get at that spot with the extender

3. did you set it up using wps or using the installation assistant?

4. are you using fastlane mode? 

Message 2 of 9
le0nszn
Aspirant

I'm not getting mad, i'm just disappointed.

2. connecting to a verizon router. not sure what walls are made out of but its hallow since everyone in the house can hear me on my game. i get 110mbps download with my phone  tablet laptop. and with the extender it varies, the highest over wifi is 96 and with ethernet its like  40mbps download

3. at first i did wps got horrible results so i tried installation assistant and that didn't work. its the same speeds and same problems no matter what installation i use.

4. i just started using it and its still the same problems, althought i did see 96mbps for the first time. but with ethernet i got the same bad speeds.

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

with fastlane, are you using the 5ghz for the backhaul?

What router is it from verizon

Message 4 of 9
le0nszn
Aspirant

yeah, and even so i tried both, same speeds

835827-thumb-539x299.jpg

this is my router

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

photos have to be approved by a moderator and it can take a while.

your hardwiring into the extender?

we'd expect the decreased speeds if you're testing over wireless as extenders by the very nature of how they work take a 50% throughput speed hit 

Message 6 of 9
le0nszn
Aspirant

then i think its called fios quantum gateway router

the extender is in my room to give my computer an ethernet connection

and actually over wireless I get better speeds then ethernet.

basically the extender is in the same room as my gaming pc which needs an ethernet connection and in the same spot without the extenders wifi connection I get 110mbps download. now in the same room with the extender wifi / ethernet connection I get 40-50mbps and over fastlane i saw a 90mbps download over WIFI but when I used ethernet i still got the same 40-60mbps.

if u don't understand just ask questions

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

not all fios gateways play nicely. Its why we ask. 

Did you try a factory reset on the extender and reinstall? 

You could also try the extender on another router to see if its specific to your device. 

Message 8 of 9
le0nszn
Aspirant

yeah i did try, and i only have one router.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7