× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WiFi extender WN3000RPv3

AliP1
Aspirant

WiFi extender WN3000RPv3

I am having trouble connecting devices to the WiFi extender. I have gone through set up multiple times, got the extender connected to the router successfully with all green lights, but when I try to connect a device to it it rejects saying that the password is incorrect. I have tried forgetting the original network and trying again but it still rejects the password. But when I reconnect to the main router with the same password it does so straight away. Can anybody share some thoughts please?
Model: WN3000RPv3|N300 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Ali, thanks for checking back. 

Page 38 of the user manual linked below provides the steps on how to reset the extender.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WN3000RPV3/WN3000RPv3_UM_25Aug2015.pdf

Once this is completed, you can go through the setup/installation as described on the installation guide linked below as well as on the manual linked above.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WN3000RPV3/WN3000RPv3_QSG_17Aug2015.pdf

Once completing the setup, check if you are able to connect your devices to the extended network and see if they can go online. If not, the next step would be to use a device that is already connected to the main network (mobile, PC, etc.) and access the web UI (user interface) of your main wireless router. Once you are there, you can check for the attached devices and see if the extender is listed as one of them. If yes, it should have an IP assigned to it. Use that IP address and type it on the address bar to get to the web UI of the extender.

Dexter

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 14

All Replies
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi AliP1, 

Please factory reset the extender by pressing on the small black button using a pin for 15+ seconds then join the NETGEAR_EXT wifi network using a phone or laptop. After you connect to the NETGEAR_EXT network with your phone or laptop, browse to www.mywifiext.net and follow the setup instructions.

Christian 

Message 2 of 14
AliP1
Aspirant

Hi Christian,

Thank you for the response to try and help. Unfortunately I did the factory reset and then tried to follow the insructions online, but when I opened the website it said that I was not connected to my EXT (even though my phone said that I was connected). There was no button for setting up a new EXT either.

I then tried several times to do this process but had the same outcome.

Following this I tried to do the WPS set up after a factory reset to see if this would have changed anything, to which I was getting the same issue with 'the password is incorrect'.

So far nothing is seeming to work to try and get this set up and unfortunately when I went to register my device for netgear help I was too late and it wouldn't let me.

Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Ali

Message 3 of 14
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @AliP1, after doing a factory reset, does the extender broadcast the default NETGEAR_EXT network that you connect your device to?

Dexter

Message 4 of 14
AliP1
Aspirant

Yes after the reset it showed the default NETGEAR_EXT
Message 5 of 14
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @AliP1, thanks for responding. To confirm, you successfully complete the reset and reconfiguration but when connecting devices to the extended signal you continue to encounter an error saying that the password is incorrect, is that right? If so, after the setup, please try accessing the web UI of the extender by using the IP assigned by your main router to the extender using a device that is connected to the main network. Once there, please confirm if the password that was entered/saved is the correct one. Also, you can modify the settings to have a different password for the extended network to see if the issue will persist.

Dexter

Message 6 of 14
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @AliP1, I would like to follow up and check if you are still experiencing the issue.

Dexter

Message 7 of 14
AliP1
Aspirant

Yes when connecting devices to the extended signal I still encounter a password incorrect message.

I think I understand what you have suggested to do. I am away from home for a bit but will try it once I get back and let you know how it goes on here.

Thank you for helping, hopefully we can get this sorted 👍🏼
Message 8 of 14
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @AliP1, please keep us posted.

Dexter

Message 9 of 14
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @AliP1, let us know if you need further assistance.

Dexter

Message 10 of 14
AliP1
Aspirant

Hi Dexter,

So I managed to get back from my travels and now want to try and get this fixed while in isolation.

After reading your last instructional message, could you please break it down into step by step as I am unsure now exactly what to do when it comes to it:

-Reset the extender

-Go through the usual set up with the router and extender

-Then using a device connected to the main router, go onto the Web UI of the extender (what exactly is this?)

-Enter the IP of the extender as given by the router (what is this?, where would I find it?and where do I put it on the web UI?)

-Check the password is correctly listed (im guessing this is clear once the other steps are done?

Hopefully we can get this sorted on the next try, thank you for continuing to help me.

Ali

Message 11 of 14
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Ali, thanks for checking back. 

Page 38 of the user manual linked below provides the steps on how to reset the extender.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WN3000RPV3/WN3000RPv3_UM_25Aug2015.pdf

Once this is completed, you can go through the setup/installation as described on the installation guide linked below as well as on the manual linked above.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WN3000RPV3/WN3000RPv3_QSG_17Aug2015.pdf

Once completing the setup, check if you are able to connect your devices to the extended network and see if they can go online. If not, the next step would be to use a device that is already connected to the main network (mobile, PC, etc.) and access the web UI (user interface) of your main wireless router. Once you are there, you can check for the attached devices and see if the extender is listed as one of them. If yes, it should have an IP assigned to it. Use that IP address and type it on the address bar to get to the web UI of the extender.

Dexter

Message 12 of 14
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Ali, were you able to test it?

Dexter

Message 13 of 14
AliP1
Aspirant

Hi @DexterJB 

Thank you for your help. Your last message made it easier to follow and eventually I managed to get it all working. Thanks for your help along the way!

AP

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7