× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WiFi extender ask for security key. My WiFi security key won’t work.

Ckils24
Tutor

WiFi extender ask for security key. My WiFi security key won’t work.

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Ckils24
Tutor

It worked. Thanks. The network security key was different on my extender than my router, so using the firmware allowed me to go through the setup and change it to my router security key.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

So the extender is trying to connect to your router and the router won't accept the security key?

Just trying to figure out where the failure is. 

Here's your support site with troubleshooting, the manual, firmware

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX6120.aspx

I prefer to setup my extenders via a hardwired connection to a computer. It tends to go smoother. 

Message 2 of 7
Ckils24
Tutor

It is saying the security key that I enter to connect the extender is incorrect. I am trying to use the security code that I use to connect to my regular WiFi.

How do I set it up doing it through hardwired conn extebsion?
Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

So when you're going through the setup, you're able to connect your device to the extender but you're not able to connect the extender to the router? 

Have you tried going in and changin the router's wireless password? Maybe something isn't compatible. Avoid special characters for the wifi password. 

What I mean by hardwiring it taking an ethernet cable and connecting a pc/laptop to the extender for setup. Usually makes setup go smoother. 

Message 4 of 7
Ckils24
Tutor

I haven’t been able to connect my device to the extender to setup the connection through a web browser. The WPS way doesn’t work either. If I connect the Ethernet to from my laptop to the extender will I be prompted? In the booklet it doesn’t give a way to hardwire connect from the extender to a device. Thanks for letting me know.
Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

When you've hardwired in, just follow the same install procedure as you would normally. Go to mywifiext.net and it should allow you to connect with the extender for setup, firmware updates, etc. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX6120.aspx

Message 6 of 7
Ckils24
Tutor

It worked. Thanks. The network security key was different on my extender than my router, so using the firmware allowed me to go through the setup and change it to my router security key.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7