× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WiFi extender keeps dropping connection, and it's driving me insane.

WiFi extender keeps dropping connection, and it's driving me insane.

Seriously, this thing just decides to drop everything at the most random times and lose all connection. I've tried every possible solution to try and fix this but nothing's worked. My firmware is up to date, and it shouldn't be having issues. However, it is, unfortunately. To give you an idea of my setup, my PC has an ethernet cable that runs from it to the extender and plugs into that. The extender sends the signal straight down through two floors (walls, basically) and the signal hooks up with the AC powerline plugged into a surge protector. That powerline is plugged into the router, and the signal goes right to it. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! (My model is an EX6150v2, for reference)

Model: EX6150v2|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

1. What router are you connecting to?

2. What firmware is on it? "the latest" changes and sometimes isn't. 

3. What fixes have you tried? Saying you've tried everything tells us nothing because "everything" means different things to people. 

4. so the extender is running in AP (access point) mode and is hardwired to the router via powerline? 

5. You realize that powerline isn't always a solid connection? Its sensitive to interference from *surge protectors*, arc fault circuits, gfci outlets, high draw appliances, powerly made appliances, even bad cell phone charges can inject intereference in the powerline. 

Might be a good idea to test the extender without the powerline setup to see if its truly an extender issue and not a powerline issue. 

Message 2 of 6

1. It's hooked up directly to the wall, which sends it down to the ac powerline adapter down on the bottom level. That goes from there straight to the router via ethernet. 

2. Firmware is fully up to date and running the latest software.

3. I've tried factory resets, messing with settings in the ethernet properties, power cycles, etc., and so far, out of all the things that I have attempted to do to fix it nothing has solved it. It still happens.

4. I had it like that and attempted to set it up,  but after that it didn't work very well at all. I've since switched it out of AP and back to extender to fix any issues that exist with it. Still nothing, AFAIK.

5. Powerline by itself with both adapters works fine, albeit very slow. The extender works much faster as an ethernet connection with one ac adapter, however I'm experiencing the drops I explained beforehand.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

What router are you connecting to?

Firmware on the extender?

Have you tried it in AP mode directly connect to the router with a 6ft cable?

Message 4 of 6

I'm connecting to a comcast router. 

Firmware is V1.0.1.86.

I have tried the extender directly connected to the router and even after it started up it still didn't recognize that it was an ethernet connection and it didn't work properly.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

@GForceRTX2090Ti wrote:

I'm connecting to a comcast router. 

Firmware is V1.0.1.86.

I have tried the extender directly connected to the router and even after it started up it still didn't recognize that it was an ethernet connection and it didn't work properly.

did you have the switch in Access point mode when you did it this route? 

And it didn't work directly connected but it did through powerline? 

I'm curious how its working in access point mode through powerline when it didn't directly connected?

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7