× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi 6 products availability

TomJR
Aspirant

Wifi 6 products availability

Hi,

I bought a RAX80 to replace my old 2013 router. I am looking at my options to get Wifi 6 on my computers, but there aren't that many.

• There are no USB or PCIE adapters from Netgear on the market. Is there an ETA on that?

• The other option is to buy a mesh extender EAX80, set it near my computers and wire them from it, but it's not available in Canada yet. Same thing, is there an ETA on this product?

Thanks !

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Wifi 6 products availability

Netgear doesn't make one (yet?) but you can get pci cards with a built in intel AX200 card from amazon for around $35-40.  I'm running one now and it works great. 

Message 2 of 5
TomJR
Aspirant

Yeah I saw that, I am hesitating. Asus & TP-Link both have higher-quality adapter available, or almost on the market (PCE AX58BT and Archer TX3000E), I'd rather pick a more established brand than the 40$ ones on Amazon, especially for the antennas. If possible I'd like to have a Netgear product, since streamlining the brands usually helps a bit, but I don't know what's their plans. I tried to use the live chat but it never worked for some reason. Using their upcoming mesh extender also sounds like a good plan, but again not available in Canada, and not that easy to get from the USA. The conversion hurts and there are potential custom fees that can increase the total cost by quite a lot.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

I wouldn't say the devices are higher quality. You can select the ones that run the intel AX200 or Killer AX1650 card. All the rest of the card is mostly an adapter to convert the m.2 plug to pci. Both are native pci connectors so there isn't any slow down there. After that its just the dual antenna setup. And most of the research on better antenna's only really helps if your computer is at a distance and needing a directional antenna. If that's the case, I'd be trying for running another AP or powerline setup. 

Edit: was typing and hit wrong key. You can pay the extra or try the adapter setup. I'm currently using it with the intel AX200 and it works fantastic. 

Message 4 of 5
TomJR
Aspirant

Yeah I may be biased here, I only had Ethernet so far and I tend to prefer picking big brands for warranty purpose. I ordered the Asus one (also based on Intel AX200) with a dual antenna setup. I am about 10m (30ft.) away from the router, we'll see how it works. If the bandwidth is still too low I'll get a mesh extender, and if that's still bad I'm gonna pay the extra to have Ethernet wires intalled in the walls. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7