× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi Extender Signal

lmr2019
Aspirant

Wifi Extender Signal

Hi 

I live on a rural property and the main router is up at the main house and my unit is propbably 100 meters away from router. The wifi extender has been working perfectly for more than 3 years and all of a sudden it's lost the signal. When i take it up to the house to reconnect with WPS it works fine until i take it back to my place. All lights are green except for the Router light which is a solid red. Confused as to why it suddenly has stopped working. Do I need a differnt extender? The one i have now is only a year old. 

Any help would be greatful.

Thanks

Model: WN3000RPv2|N300 WIFI Range Extender
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Wifi Extender Signal

I'm betting its not just the extender. 100 meters is quite far for wireless to reach and be usable. Most people running that far use a point-point system. The fact that it did means it must have been set in a pretty much perfect spot for both extender and router. All it would take would be the router being moved from a window location to behind the wall to reduce the signal far enough to create problems. Not saying that's what happened but it wouldn't take much drop in signal strength to make cause the drop. a simple move of the router, a tree suddenly in the way, a tractor or other large object blocking the direct line of sight.  Or some other interference like another device broadcasting on same channel to cause enough signal degredation to cause issues. 

At that distance, it doesn't take much to drop a signal. I'm impressed it worked for 3 years without issues at all.

You might need to do a bit of optimizing with the router placement or antenna setup (some are directional) of the router to ensure the signal is the best possible. 

Message 2 of 6
lmr2019
Aspirant

Yeah not sure. Nothing has moved, router has been in the same room, extender in same place, no trees down as it's a cleared block.  We dont own a tractor or anything like that. he he not that kind of rural property. it's giving me the sh*ts. Thanks for the reply anyway. 

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Anything else started broadcasting recently or is the router set on auto for channel selection? 

Try changing the router to 1-6-11 for channel broadcast. I imagine you're running in 2.4ghz as I can't see the 5ghz making it that far?

Message 4 of 6
lmr2019
Aspirant

hmmm i dont know what 1-6-11 is but i'll have a look when i get home. pretty sure its on the 2.4ghz. 

Nothing broadcasting or anything like that. My sister wouldnt know what to do with the Netgear router so nothing would be touched. 

Could it be something to do with the main line?? Telstra signals chnaged or something like that?

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Not likely there main line. Either the router signal degraded, the signal was interfered with, or extender degraded.
I'd try logging into the router and trying different wifi channels
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7