× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wifi Extender not connecting when plugged in ethernet port to laptop.

Melectro
Aspirant

Wifi Extender not connecting when plugged in ethernet port to laptop.

Hello! I just recently bought a AC1900 Nighthawk Mesh extender Model EX7000 for streaming my art. The goal was to set it up and use it the ethernet ports to have stable internet. I set it up and the wifi itself is working like a charm! Problem is every time I plug the ethernet into my Macbook Pro all internet comes to a complete hault. The laptop reconizes the ethernet cable, the Router reconizes the ethernet cable, but nothing happens. Before this I was using a TP-link RE220 and that worked fine plugged in, besides some small stream lag, I was getting steady internet through the ethernet cable. I have reset the router twice, and I'm still struggling. I'm not sure if I missed a setting, possibly need different hardware/new cable/new adapter (using the Anker USB-c Adapter). Any advice would be lovely. Thanks so much! 

Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

What firmware is on the extender?

What router is it connected to? 

What method of install did you use? WPS or the installation assistant. 

Any other hardwired devices you can try plugging into it? 

Message 2 of 7
Melectro
Aspirant

hello!

My room mate has a Ubee Modem and a simple D-link router from the looks of it. WPS was how I set it up.

The firmware is the most "up to date" version according to mywifiext. Unsure where to find the specific one. 

Going to try plugging it in to my boyfriend's laptop and see the outcome!

Thank you again for helping out. 

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

@Melectro wrote:

hello!

My room mate has a Ubee Modem and a simple D-link router from the looks of it.-----Model numbers are important. Which ones? WPS was how I set it up.---WPS can get coded different between different manufacturers (ruins the point) so try a factory reset of the extender and install it using the installation assistant and NOT wps. 

The firmware is the most "up to date" version according to mywifiext. Unsure where to find the specific one. ---the status page will say which version you're on. 

Going to try plugging it in to my boyfriend's laptop and see the outcome!

Thank you again for helping out. 

Message 4 of 7
Melectro
Aspirant

My apologies!

The D-link is DIR-842

The Ubee is UBC1301

Firmware V1.0.1.90_1.0.156

Message 5 of 7
Melectro
Aspirant

Also it seems now my ethernet cable will no longer work with the TP-link either now. So it could be something on my end

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

the Ubee is a modem/router/telphone service device. Plus you have the d-link acting as a router. 

2 routers on 1 network with both in router mode can cause issues. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7