× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi Extender or Access Point

jfish303
Aspirant

Wifi Extender or Access Point

I want to extend my network.  I'm wondering if I need a range extender or wireless access point.  I plan to plug either device into the main router via ethernet cable. I'd like as little speed degredation as possible. I am using a nighthawk router.  

Thanks for the help

Message 1 of 6
VE6CGX
Master

Re: Wifi Extender or Access Point

If you can run a cable AP is the choice.

Message 2 of 6
jfish303
Aspirant

One more question. Am I better using the newer nighthawk as the main router and the wndr4000 as an AP or would it be better the other way around? The main router will be in a utility room while the AP will handle most of the wireless connections

Message 3 of 6
VE6CGX
Master

I'd always put better router at the front. So far I have been covering my whole house with just one router but when if I had to deploy AP

that's what I'll do. 

Message 4 of 6
jfish303
Aspirant

What do you by at the front.  My tought was I'd use the WNDR4000 as the main router with the wireless turned off placed in the utility room and then the nighthawk 7000 as the AP to handle the wireless part placed centrally in the house

Message 5 of 6
VE6CGX
Master

Sorry, I meant front end which is after modem. So modem >> your better router  >> another router as an AP. If you put the lesser router

at the front it can choke the traffic flow. Any how to customize your situstion you can try both ways. Good luck.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7