× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi Extender requires different password to router

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Wifi Extender requires different password to router

I know there are better solutions, but please can someone just tell me how I find/set the password for my wifi extender? 

When I try to connect to the _EXT wifi network on my tablet with my router's password, it is not accepted/incorrect. I understand that this is a common problem with Plusnet routers/Netgear extenders and I understand that it is possible to login somehow and set the password for the extender network... Can someone kindly put me out of my misery and tell me (as simply as possible) how to do this please?

If the sensible solution is to buy a more up to date extender, please let me know. Thank you 🙂

Model: WN1000RP|WiFi Booster for Mobile
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Wifi Extender requires different password to router

I'd start over. 

Factory reset it by pushing and holding reset for 7-15 seconds while its powered on. 

Then follow the stock install guide. 

WN1000RP initial installation | Answer | NETGEAR Support

default login: admin

default password: password

Message 2 of 3
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Wifi Extender requires different password to router

Thank you for trying to help. I had already tried factory reset but the same problem occured each time in that when I tried to connect to my extender wifi, the router password was not recognised. This is a known issue with Plusnet routers and extenders. However, I have now invested in a different brand/more current extender, which had the same issue with not recognising the Plusnet router's password. This time I was able to find someone (via the extender brand's tech support) that understood the issue and they pointed me in the right direction whereby I was able to set the extender password to that of my router - and bingo, works even better than expected.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7