× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wifi Extenders That Do Not Decrease Speed

leehop71
Aspirant

Wifi Extenders That Do Not Decrease Speed

Are extenders that DO NOT decrease speed and actually work?

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

@leehop71 wrote:

Are extenders that DO NOT decrease speed and actually work?

For the most part yes. All extenders are going to introduce some latency and potentially a slight drop in speed to a significan drop depending on the model. Saying that, the tri-band extenders use a dedicated 3rd radio just for the backhaul. This reduces that drop in speed significalty to where you might not even see a difference. Tri-band extenders such as the EX8000

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/EX8000.aspx

or you can go the orbi route where the whole 3rd radio on all the devices is used for the backhaul. I've hit 450+ mbps over wireless on a phone with orbi. All wireless. I guess you could consider these "extenders"

Message 2 of 8
leehop71
Aspirant

pleman, you have a wealth of knowledge for this newbie!!

So the tri-band extender might be the fix if I need it once I get my rear camera setup.

Just to educate myself, I thought the Orbi system was designed to take the place of the modem and router??

Even though I got a deal on my CM700 and R6350, $200 at Target, I don't need to 'replace' them unless the Orbi system works WITH an existing modem and router?

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

@leehop71 wrote:

pleman, you have a wealth of knowledge for this newbie!!

So the tri-band extender might be the fix if I need it once I get my rear camera setup.

Just to educate myself, I thought the Orbi system was designed to take the place of the modem and router??

Even though I got a deal on my CM700 and R6350, $200 at Target, I don't need to 'replace' them unless the Orbi system works WITH an existing modem and router?

Sounds like you have a fairly decent setup. The orbi can worth with an existing setup but its fairly expensive to buy into. the ex8000 isn't exactly cheap either. Depending on what camera you're getting and if you just want the extender connecting to it, you could always look at a cheaper dual band extender and use netgear's fastlane technology. it lets you set one band just for talking to the router and the other band for talking to devices. A lot depends on your usage scenario and what your budget it. At the price for the ex8000, for a bump in price you could just go to the orbi and sell your r6350 and possibly make up the difference.

Not to add more thought but there's also the potential for going the powerline route with built in wifi. But then you need to start seeing how well powerline works in your residence. here's what I'm refering to. 

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-PowerLINE-1000-802-11ac-Gigabit/dp/B01929V7ZG

Message 4 of 8
leehop71
Aspirant

pleman,

It looks like these are 3 affordable options that would work, although I definitely do not want overkill.

BTW, when everything comes in, I will have a Ring Doorbell 2, Spotlight Cam in the front of the house,  a Stickcam on the sides of the house and the back, Floodlight Monitors in the back, and Spotlight monitors on each side of the house, and the lights will work off a bridge from Ring.

It looks to me, even if I use the powerline, I can plug the bridge into that and have it closer to the lights.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Extender-Seamless-Roaming-Router/dp/B00R92CLD6/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=me...

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-PowerLINE-1000-802-11ac-Gigabit/dp/B01929V7ZG

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Tri-Band-Extender-EX8000/dp/B074F3M2W8/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=...

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

It looks like 2 of them  have items in the amazon warehouse for a cheaper price if you were looking. I've had good luck with amazon warehouse products and they have a 30 return on warehouse items. Just a thought. All of them should be decent options for what you're trying to accomplish. I tend to go overkill but thats just a personal preference. 🙂  Hope it works great for you!

Message 6 of 8
leehop71
Aspirant

Thanks again for your patience and understanding.  I could plug my bridge into the extender, correct?

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

@leehop71 wrote:

Thanks again for your patience and understanding.  I could plug my bridge into the extender, correct?

I've never used ring. But I've used the external ports on extenders and powerline adapters and the ethernet ports have all been easily used. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7