× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi connection is terrible

Mileskristian1
Aspirant

Wifi connection is terrible

Ok so I’m 14, not good with technology at all so if you reply please keep it in dumb language, I just spend all my money ($80) on this wifi extender to play on the PlayStation 4 in my room, we have wifi in my house and when I’m in the other room connected to the wifi it’s really good but it doesn’t reach that far into my room, it’s supposed to be getting GB speed but I’m getting around 150 KBPs
I’m a good 40 yards from my router and I have a metal roof. All 3 of the lights on the extender are lit up but the bottom one always turns red, please help me on how to make the connection stronger
Model: PL1200|Powerline 1200 Adapter
Message 1 of 4
michaelkeay
Aspirant

Re: Wifi connection is terrible

I think the metal is the killer. I would suggest you run an ethernet cable to your bedroom or powerline mains extenders although I notice you have powerline. How are you using them? What wifi extender do you have?

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

are you using a wifi extender or the powerline device you have in your signature?

If you're using powerline, powerline can be sensative to many things.

These include:

ARC fault curcuits, gfci curcuits,  cell phone chargers, distance, surge protectors, and switching power supplies.

here's an article from smallnetbuilder on it. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basics/lanwan-basics/32769-how-to-troubleshoot-your-powerline-networ...

There's advice in the article on troubleshooting and tip/tricks. 

Here's the support page for the pl1200

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/PL1200 

Message 3 of 4
Mileskristian1
Aspirant

I don’t have an extender, I’m running it straight from the modem...
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7