× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wifi extender for AT&T fiber internet

Partsman41953
Aspirant

Wifi extender for AT&T fiber internet

Hello, 

I need advice on which wifi extender I should purchase to use with AT&T fiber internet. At the moment fiber is not available in my area but I was told it will be available in a couple of weeks. With AT&T Uverse my router is in my office on the second floor and my smart tv is on the first floor around 100 feet away. I stream all of my tv and when I try to stream a movie on my Firestick it will buffer constantly and at times I will see a message No Internet. I need something to get a stronger signal. Please let me know what to do and if a wifi extender will work for my situation. 

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

How big is your home?

what materials is it made from? 

The real questions would be is it going to be better to add an extender or better to upgrade to a full mesh system like orbi/MK nighthawk?

Message 2 of 4
Partsman41953
Aspirant

My house is 2300 sq feet. The way the AT&T router is set up is the serviceman put the BGW210-700 router in my office and my computer is wired to the router so I am not using wifi. My office is over our garage. One the first floor, walking down the stairs from my office, is our kitchen and then is our living room where our smart tv is located. My wife and son's offices are on the second floor on the opposite side of the house. Our house is constructed of wood and drywall. It is not brick or concrete block. 

Like I said, I was told from AT&T that fiber will be available in the next couple of weeks but from what I was told from a family member, fiber does not increase or stabilize wifi signals. 

Please let me know what I should do.

Thanks

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

What speeds do you currently get? 

While it might not increase signal strength, if you were starting from an already slow speed, distance and interference don't help and could be dropping it below a usable level. 

But if you're coming from fibre where the initial speed is higher, you can loose more speed from distance/interfernce and still be ok for streaming/gaming. 

If it was me? i'd wait to see how it does on the upgrade to fibre before i'd buy an extender. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7