× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi extender problems family about to kill me

tdlewis
Follower

Wifi extender problems family about to kill me

I have a netgear router model WNDR3400v2 and a netgear extender model WN2000RPT V2. It's a big and old house with thick walls and I have dead spots upstairs in 3 bedrooms. This as you can imagine causes a lot of rifts.
What do I need to do? I saw some plug in the wall things that netgear sells but don't know if that will solve my problem. The extender is in an optimal spot as indicated by the lights. I don't know whether to scrap it and buy a new configuration of upgrade the one I have (with what I don't know). If someone has any Ideas for a solution I would like to hear it. With 5 kids and laptops, smartphones and tablets all over I really could use some help. Thank you for reading this and I look forward to many responses. Best Regards-Tim
Message 1 of 2
TheEther
Guru

Re: Wifi extender problems family about to kill me

You could try getting a more powerful extender with external antennas, but you might want to consider a Powerline network. The plug in the wall things are probably referring to Powerline adapters. They use the electrical AC wires in your house for computer networking.

You could install a Powerline network running from an AC outlet near your WNDR3400 to an AC outlet upstairs and install a wired Access Point there. The Access Point could either fill in the dead spots not covered by your WN2000RPT or it could replace the WN2000RPT altogether.

If you want to use Netgear for an Access Point, then any of the 3000, 6000 and 7000 series extenders will work, except for the EX6200 and WN3000RP. Netgear also has Powerline adapters with built-in Access Point (e.g. Netgear XWNB5221). If you want maximum coverage, I would use one of the EX models with external antennas.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7