× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi extender

CesarReyes
Aspirant

Wifi extender

Hi,

I would need to find the product or products that would allow me to extend a Wi-Fi network, and make it an access point if necessary.

I don't know if there is any product that can do this architecture at the same time

In the event that this product did not exist, you would need to know the combination of them.

Best Regards,

César Reyes

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Wifi extender

you mean a wifi extender?

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/default.aspx

some of the baselevel models don't support access point mode so figure out which devices fit your purposes and check in their spec sheet if they support AP mode. 

Message 2 of 6
CesarReyes
Aspirant

Yes, I mean a Wi-Fi extension with the behavioral option as an access point.

Does Netgear have any products with these characteristics?

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Many of them do. Just not the cheaper base models.
Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

Some have a hardware switch on the side that allows you to switch from AP to extender mode and some do it from within the firmware. Like I said, filter the extenders by features that you need and then look at the specs list when you pull them up. It should say if they act as ap's or not. 

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@CesarReyes wrote:

Yes, I mean a Wi-Fi extension with the behavioral option as an access point.

In typical terminology, a WiFi Extender does use a WiFi connection) e.g. to the router while acting as a wireless access point resp an Ethernet bridge for the LAN ports. To add some more confusion, Netgear has changed the functionality on the newer wireless extenders to become Mesh Extenders. The difference to a classic extender is that there is no MAC translation, and the Mesh extender access point can be configured to he same wireless network name like the primary router - this does allow seamless roaming between the extender AP and the router AP.

A Wifi Access point on the other hand is typically connected to a router LAN by a network cable, or to a LAN switch with an uplink to the router.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7