× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wifi extension to metal buiding

Loganwildman
Aspirant

Wifi extension to metal buiding

I have a metal shop that I am trying to get internet into. I currently have a Nighthawk 7000 (AC1900) in the house, and a Belken extender in the shop positioned close to the garage door window (approx 180ft from house). Problem is it keeps loosing connection. Would the EX7000 extender with one antenna mounted outside of the shop allow me to get a better signal inside the shop? or is there a better way to get the wifi signal inside the metal building?

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 7
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Loganwildman

The best way to get wifi out to the shop would be powerline but that requires your shop and house to use the same power circuit which sounds doubtful since you may be using big equipment out there.  Its really hard to say if the EX7000 would fix the issue with all the variables that could be affecting the wifi signal. Have you tried to adjust the wireless channel on the R7000 to see if you can get a better signal you can use phone apps to help find the best channel to use with the least amount of interfearance. Our app is on android and is called Netgear Wifi analytics.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 7
Loganwildman
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply Darren. Power isn't an option as the shop is feed by another meter. What about replacing one of the 3 antenna's with a Netgear outdoor antenna's. If that would be ok for the device, it would solve my issue as getting outside of the metal building would be sufficent to get a better signal.

Message 3 of 7
VE6CGX
Master

If you extend coax connection to locate antenna outsie, length of coax attenuate RF signal to a degree. Care to run a cable to shop? That if possible will be best solution for reliable access to the 'Net.

Message 4 of 7
Loganwildman
Aspirant

Running a cable would definitely be the way to go, but would require renting a trencher and purchasing conduit and underground rated cable, ie $$$$$. That is why I am looking at wireless first.

Message 5 of 7
VE6CGX
Master

Then you can use weather proof outdoor gain antenna equipped wireless repeater. Maybwe Ubiquiti product.

Message 6 of 7
KendallStanleyS
Initiate

Hi guys,

I have exactly the same issue that Logan has. I have the R7000 inside the house and the EX7000 in the shop. They are 300' apart, there is currently no conduit between the two and power is fed through a separate meter.

If I place the EX7000 just outside the overhead door and leave it open about 6", I have wall to wall wifi inside the shop. But if I close the door or move the EX7000 to just inside the door (even if it is open) the signal goes away. My desired state would be to keep the EX7000 inside (warm and dry) but extend the antennas so they are outside to catch the signal from the house. What are my options? 

Many thanks,

Kendall

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7