× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wifi lag spikes

BlueIron15
Aspirant

Wifi lag spikes

I have been having issues with my PS5 having lag spikes with the Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 C7000v2. Before this I had a different Netgear modem/router combo and it worked fine with the PS5.

I've tried everything I can find to try and fix this to no success, like changing channels on the router, port forwarding, upnp etc.
I have come to the conclusion that it's either a problem with the router or problem with the PS5.

I am looking to get an Netgear extender so I can use the extender and plug that into the PS5 via Ethernet cable to see if it still gets lag spikes(if lag spikes still exists then its problem with router) or if an Ethernet connection fixes the problem(problem with PS5 wifi).

I was looking to get recommendations for an extender. Distance wouldn't matter because my router is in the room below and the extender would be directly in the room above. I would just have one device on the extender so I was looking at the NETGEAR Wi-Fi Range Extender EX2700.
My only question is, do I need to get the Netgear extender ac1900 since my modem/router is ac1900?
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

I would at least look for something with 5ghz. 2.4ghz is senstive to inteference as well as its a slow network. 

So if you're connected to 2.4ghz right now, switch it to the 5ghz. 

Message 2 of 4
BlueIron15
Aspirant

I've tried 5ghz as well with no success. Signal strength is 100%.
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Something to try. 

Move the ps5 to where the c7000 is (or move the modem to where the ps5 is) and hardwire it in. Or just buy a cheap 100ft ethernet cable. Just for testing direct connect it to the router and test your lag spikes. maybe it isn't a wifi issue but a connection to the isp. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7