× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi range extender bandwith lost

adalbertov
Follower

Wifi range extender bandwith lost

Ive purchased the model EX6120 for a medium size apartment.

After many tests, im losing 50% of the bandwith trough the extender. i have a 100mbs internet service on a Cisco Router. even if im in the same room of the router and extender, i get max 45mb connection on speedtest.

according to extender the signal strengh to the router is 270MBPs

This is what ive tried so far:

1. factory reset then firmware upgrade to the last one available
  2. run speed test on direct connection and extender connection and compared, thats how i know i loss 50% on the same and more on different room.
  3. same results on laptop, cellphone or tablet.
  4. tried using 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ, same results.
  5. disabled 2.4GHZ and left only 5GHZ, same result.
  6. restarted to try different channels, same result.
  7. Tried Fast Lane option, same result.

is there anything else i could do? doesnt make sense to lose that much even in the same room.

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 3
MR1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re: Wifi range extender bandwith lost

I have been running this extender for a month now and I am also experencing a cionsiderable loss of bandwith compared to what is measured close to the the TP l-link router. I have the AC2200 in a different room and it is not possible to run streeming e.g. on the TV while rge AC2200 is running . If I turn the AC2200 off  the bandwith goes up in the other room but the signal sttrenght is offcourse getting weaker due to distance. What should I do? When I installed it I updated the firmware and I have tried to reset it but with no positive result. 

Model: EX7300v2|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Wifi range extender bandwith lost

I think there's a misunderstand in how extenders work as well as the fastlane mode. 

To start off with, standard dual band extenders (not triband) do cut throughput in half. The reason for this is that they have to receive and then retransmit using the same wireless chip. And it can't do both at once. That's why it cuts the speed in half of what its receiving. 

The triband extenders mitigate this by reserving one of the 5ghz chips just for router-----extender communication. 

Fastlane potentially could help with this. The problem is you're stuck with using the 2.4ghz signal. Which is much slower than 5ghz. Much much slower. The benefit to the fastlane is in reducing latency 

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7