× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Will my 2 X4S's (EX7500) mesh with my 2 X6S's (EX8000)

Diabhalta
Star

Will my 2 X4S's (EX7500) mesh with my 2 X6S's (EX8000)

Hello community!

Thanks in advance for any help here. My full setup is DM200 -> XR500 -> 2 x EX8000 and 2x EX7500.

The EX7500 has a light for "connection to router" which in my case is red as my goal is to have it mesh / daisy chain with the EX8000 which are working as access points via ethernet direct to the router.

Will this work as a mesh despite the red light for router connection being poor? 

Thanks!

Diab

Model: EX7500|AC2200 Nighthawk X4S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender, EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Diabhalta
Star

Reporting back that got everything working and I think meshed as of last night. I had a few hiccups that I can relay if anyone cares but a) DM200/XR500 were not working so I had to change to a draytek I had as a backup and b) I had a hell of a time setting up until I realised my IP subnet being different to the default on the EX8000 and EX7500 was the problem. Once I got on same subnet for setup I was golden. Probably something that should be documented better!

I thought I might lose the mesh with having the EX8000 in AP mode and the EX7500 in extender mode but my furthest away EX7500 is getting full speed, no speed loss on the hop which I'm taking as a sign mesh working correctly. Also no problems with everything on the same SSID which is nice!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Diabhalta - Plenty of extenders you have there! Have you gotten a chance to run this through? Curious to hear back.

~Christian 

Message 2 of 5
Diabhalta
Star

Hi!

Ha yeah, my house has kryponite in the walls, every and all signals struggle!

Not great so far, I've only added the 2 EX7500 so far and by WPS they dont seem to work great. My mobile devices dont seem to be getting an IP. Haven't had a chance to really troubleshoot yet as been having bigger problem with my modem/router/smart home setup.

Will check back in when I have it running, I'll be using the 2 EX8000 as access points hard wired to the router so that should help a lot.
Message 3 of 5
Diabhalta
Star

Reporting back that got everything working and I think meshed as of last night. I had a few hiccups that I can relay if anyone cares but a) DM200/XR500 were not working so I had to change to a draytek I had as a backup and b) I had a hell of a time setting up until I realised my IP subnet being different to the default on the EX8000 and EX7500 was the problem. Once I got on same subnet for setup I was golden. Probably something that should be documented better!

I thought I might lose the mesh with having the EX8000 in AP mode and the EX7500 in extender mode but my furthest away EX7500 is getting full speed, no speed loss on the hop which I'm taking as a sign mesh working correctly. Also no problems with everything on the same SSID which is nice!

Message 4 of 5
Diabhalta
Star

I spoke too soon unfortunately...on fresh setup everything works fine but over the course of 24 hours my mobile devices end up losing internet connection as cant get IP address. I have tried resetting from scratch a few times but connections never survive more than a day or two. Its driving me nuts! 🙂
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7