× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Windows 7 Readyshare drive problems DGN2200

monkie
Aspirant

Windows 7 Readyshare drive problems DGN2200

I have 3 computers on the network, all connected over wifi:
- XP Professional,
- Vista home
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

I have a WD 500GB Hard Drive connected to the readyshare port on the DGN2200.

The XP and the Vista machines can see it fine. No problems setting up, none what so ever.

However the Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate PC cannot see the drive.
Its a new laptop no 3rd party firewalls. I have the network set to home settings for file and print sharing. I have switched off windows 7 firewall.

Im a bit stuck! :mad:
Message 1 of 8
monkie
Aspirant

I have managed to get somewhere

Windows 7 is not resolving the name of the readyshare drive or any XP machine.

But I can see the netgear readyshare drive by typing in \\192.168.0.1\ into windows explorer bar at the top. Then I can see USB_Storage.
I have mapped network drive to this now.

However I still dont understand why I dont see readyshare drive name in network like I do on the Vista and XP machines!
Message 2 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

did you enable network discovery on win7? you do not have any other third party internet security type app?
Message 3 of 8
AldoE
Aspirant

Same problem for me.
I can't access the DGN2200v3 share using hostname "\\readyshare" nor using IP "\\192.168.0.1"
Network discovery is turned on.

Thinking it might be a Win7 client problem, I have tried to access the share from the AppleTV.
I can then see the share but cannot access it: I get a "connection refused" error.
Instead, accessing from AppleTV some SMB shares on the Win7 host works fine.

Then I tried using the DLNA built in server but, again, the server won't expose any video.

The USB HDD is a 500GB WD Elements formatted NTFS, filesystem setup to grant Complete Control to "Everyone"

Help 🙂
Message 4 of 8
dhester
Aspirant

I had the same problem with my R6300, your can't just use \\readyshare you have to use the full share name in my case USB_Storage so the actual path is \\readyshare\USB_Storage. This works for windows 7 & windows 8
Message 5 of 8
dhester
Aspirant

Forgot to say but when trying to map as a network drive the readyshare took a while to show up in the browse list. Not sure how long as I connected the drive and typed the address in by hand as the name was not in the list, then a couple of hours later I was trying again and the readyshare was in the browse list.
Message 6 of 8
dhester
Aspirant

Readyshare has now stopped working properly. On the computers where I have mapped a network drive to the readyshare disk these work, but on computers where I have not set it up already readyshare does not show up when I browse the network. The DLNA server does show up but not the readyshare.
Message 7 of 8
AldoE
Aspirant

Yeah that never worked for me.
Tried everything I could think of, mixing all variables:
-mapping using IP / sharename
-mapping only root folder / full path of share
-activating network discovery or not
-activating netbios over tcpip or not

The disk is a WD Elements formatted NTFS with complete control to everybody.

The share on the DGN2200v3 is set to give complete control in reading and writing to everybody (no password) and is mounted under default U:

The DGN2200v3 web interface can indeed browse the folders on disk, so the problem is the SMB-exposure of such disk

Any idea?
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7