× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wireless Extender Performance Issue WN3000RP

trickylad
Aspirant

Wireless Extender Performance Issue WN3000RP

Hi there.

I've had a WN3000RP for a year now and it's performed excellently.

Not changed my router, provider, location or anything but in the last day or so the light has turned red on the extender and the speed has plummeted both in terms of download and upload. checked the main router and the speed is good.

I logged into mywifiext to see if i could see what was going on.

I downloaded the extender firmware update (i did it over wifi vs via ethernet - is this an issue?) but it doesn't seem to have done anything - perhaps made it worse.

I've tried changing the channel on the router (just noticed there's upload speed issues on the main router also when connecting via wifi) but no change - something has definitely gone pearshaped.

Would appreciate any help/advice you can give

Thanks!

Model: WN3000RP|Universal WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 5
trickylad
Aspirant

Re: Wireless Extender Performance Issue WN3000RP

For clarity - when i say speed has plummeted:

Main router 48mps 

Extender normally 25mps

Extender now 2.2mps

Upload now 0.002 mps

Message 2 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello trickylad

I would try to factory reset your extender and do the setup again and see if the speeds improves some setting could of been messed up in the extender.

DarrenM

Message 3 of 5
trickylad
Aspirant

Thanks Darren.

I did that, moved the extender closer, set it up from scratch and it now alternates between green and amber which is better.

The bug bear is that at my main access point over wifi I get 40mb dload and 17mb upload.

From the extender it's now 2mb dload and 0-6mb upload.

The channel on the router is set to automatic.

I also have a NAS drive, heating system and sonos bridge attached to the router via Ethernet but I've tried disconnecting these to see if any significant changes but alas, no.
Message 4 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello trickylad 

I would try to set the router to 1 channel that has the least amount of traffic on it see if that improves because when it is on automatic the channel is always changing.

DarrenM

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7