× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wireless printer not working over extender

billsav
Aspirant

Wireless printer not working over extender

Bought a Netgear AX1800 Mesh Extender to improve wifi signal in my house.Works fine with computers, but the wireless printer won't work. (HP 4500 all-in-one).

I've done enough research to realize that this is a regular problem. It was reported on this forum in 2017 and again in 2019 but neither thread resolved with a clear solution.

I can ping the printer from my computer using the IP Address. However, the printer software cannot find it. HP forums have no solution for it and it seems to be a problem with other wireless printers brands, too.

My options seem to be:

1. Get the wireless printer to connect directly to the main router and bypass the Extender

2. Convince the printer software that the connection to the extender does indeed put it on the same network with the computer. 

I'm not an IT expert by any  means, but I can follow instructions to reset things like IP and MAC addresses. Can anyone help me with this?

Other information: running Windows Pro 10 on a Dell laptop; main router was provided by the phone company and is a Comtrend.

Message 1 of 6

Re: Wireless printer not working over extender

@billsav wrote:

Bought a Netgear AX1800 Mesh Extender to improve wifi signal in my house.

Which one? AX1800 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AX tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds and technology.

Look at the label on the device for the model number.

The usual way to fix wifi printers is to find the printer maker's utility, the software that runs on your operating system. Then use that to connect the printer to the wifi.

The router just broadcasts wifi. It is then down to the printer to play ball. There isn't much that you can do on a router, beyond fixing it to a particular IP address, that affects what the printer gets up to.

Where possible, using the WPS feature can simplify things.

Re: Nighthawk Router not connecting to HP printer - NETGEAR Communities

Then there is this:

Installing HP wireless printer software | Wireless Printing Center | HP® United Kingdom

Message 2 of 6
billsav
Aspirant

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

1. You asked about he model. I was puzzled about the model name, too. When I looked at the bottom of the machine, this is how it describes the model: "EAX20 — 4-Stream AX1800 WiFi Mesh Extender" - I note that this doesn't show up in the drop down menu, so that is also confusing. I believe it is part of the Nighthawk series but I don't have the box info anymore.

2. Regarding HP software. I've been all over the HP site, using their troubleshooters, downloading the software, reinstalling drivers, etc. None of that has helped. However:

• I can print from a UBS port (so the computer has the right driver)
  • I can see that the printer is on the wireless network with its own IP address
  • I can add the wireless printer when the computer and printer are connected to the main router (Comtrend router/modem)
  • But when I get to my office, which is connected on wifi via the Netgear extender, the computer gives me an error message that the computer cannot find the driver.

3. Why I'm on the Netgear site: This may be an HP software problem, but I hit a dead end with HP. I'm puzzled that the setup works with the wifi signal through the router/modem but not through the Netgear extender. My conclusion is that either the extender is doing something that confuses the software or the software can't figure out how to work through the extender (chicken/egg?). Either way, I was hoping there might be some kind of workaround via the extender settings.

If as you say, all the extender is doing is broadcasting a signal, then I'm doubly puzzled why I can see the printer by typing it's IP Address in the web browser, but the computer cannot recognize that it has the driver for the same printer.

Message 3 of 6

@billsav wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

1. You asked about he model. I was puzzled about the model name, too. When I looked at the bottom of the machine, this is how it describes the model: "EAX20 — 4-Stream AX1800 WiFi Mesh Extender" - I note that this doesn't show up in the drop down menu, so that is also confusing. I believe it is part of the Nighthawk series but I don't have the box info anymore.

The drop-down options are poor. But it may not help that your message is in the Powerline Networking section. (I will move it.) The EAX20 is a wifi extender.

EAX20 | WiFi Range Extender | NETGEAR Support

I can see that the printer is on the wireless network with its own IP address

I am a Canon user. It has a utility that I can throw at the network to find and connect a printer. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with HP's way of doing things beyond seeing a steady flow of "my HP printer won't work" messages here.

I can add the wireless printer when the computer and printer are connected to the main router (Comtrend router/modem)

Have you tried adding the printer to the EAX20?

Do other wifi clients play nicely with the EAX20?

Message 4 of 6
billsav
Aspirant

Thanks for clarifying about the forum. Didn't realize I was in the wrong place. Apologies!

And, yes, the best solution might be to dump the HP and go for Canon. : -(

Message 5 of 6

@billsav wrote:

Thanks for clarifying about the forum. Didn't realize I was in the wrong place. Apologies!

And, yes, the best solution might be to dump the HP and go for Canon. : -(

My guess is that the only reason why Canon appears here less often is that it sells fewer printers, not that it is infinitely superior.

The design of its printer utility smells more like Windows 3.1 than anything 21st Century.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7