× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

With Apple & Android masking device MAC address, how do I use MAC filter on networks?

TheSandman
Tutor

With Apple & Android masking device MAC address, how do I use MAC filter on networks?

In recent years, Apple and Android has developed "masked" MAC address for sake of privacy.

Apple and Android devices show up on networks with different MAC address from time to time.

So how would one be able to filter MAC address that aren't real? Or even figure out which unrecognizable MAC address correlates with which devices?

Anyone facing these issues?

tSM

Model: EX3700|AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 2
nielsvds
Luminary

Re: With Apple & Android masking device MAC address, how do I use MAC filter on networks?

Here some information how it works in Android: https://source.android.com/devices/tech/connect/wifi-mac-randomization-behavior

For Android 10 and 11 the masked MAC address remains the same until you reset the network settings. But you need still to at the device which randomized MAC address is assigned to that device. You can not filter on MAC address and knowing which device is behind that.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7