× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wn2500rp apple streaming problem

VIDARDO
Follower

Wn2500rp apple streaming problem

Hi

My wn2500rp works in most cases.

But When i use streaming services like netflix, YouTube, viaplay and other local ones on my ipad/ iphone, I only get the first seconds and then only sound.

This works fine with my router linksys 4200.( when I'm in range of it).

My setup is 5 ghz between my router and extender and 2,4 out to my devices. I have tried the original setup aswell. Same problem.

Have any of you had the same problem?

Thank you in advance

Vidardo
Message 1 of 5
_Nordo_
Aspirant

Re: Wn2500rp apple streaming problem

I had the exact problem with my wn2500rp and tried different settings. I got it to finally stream netflix on my ipad by using the "reset factory settings" button then reconnect to my router using the WPS button and disregard the Fast Lane Technology setting. For me Netflix streaming and Fast lane are incompatible.
Message 2 of 5
22sunit
Aspirant

Funnily enough through VPN it does work. I have exactly the same setup as you guys. 5ghz router extender and 2.4ghz extender to devices. If i do a speedtest I get 24mbps with my iPad, which should be enough for streaming, though streaming is very slow. Then I activate my VPN from school and it works but speedtest remains the same... I recently changed the configuration because I wanted more speed as I have a 125mbps connection. Prior to this, I had 2.4 router to extender and 5 extender to devices, also fast lane. Back then it worked! Though I could only hit 60mbps on my computer, now 100. Back to our issue, I first thought it was about the 300mbps vs 145mbps but it makes no difference. Tried WMM, QoS no change. Like I say, the VPN part is interesting!
Message 3 of 5
Unimatrix
Aspirant

22sunit wrote:
Funnily enough through VPN it does work. I have exactly the same setup as you guys. 5ghz router extender and 2.4ghz extender to devices. If i do a speedtest I get 24mbps with my iPad, which should be enough for streaming, though streaming is very slow. Then I activate my VPN from school and it works but speedtest remains the same...

I recently changed the configuration because I wanted more speed as I have a 125mbps connection. Prior to this, I had 2.4 router to extender and 5 extender to devices, also fast lane. Back then it worked! Though I could only hit 60mbps on my computer, now 100.

Back to our issue, I first thought it was about the 300mbps vs 145mbps but it makes no difference. Tried WMM, QoS no change. Like I say, the VPN part is interesting!

Interesting ! I have the exact same problem with my Ipad 2 (IOS 7.1.2) in combination with the WN2500RP. My connection is more than sufficient, everything goes fast, downloading apps, browsing, loading pictures... except video streaming. Whether it is YouTube or videos on news sites or anywhere else, it just is impossibly slow with constant buffering. I have no problem with my PC or Android devices connected to the extender. This problem seems to be strictly with apple devices. My friend with an Ipad mini has the same problem when connected to my extender. I have tried all the modes, Fastlane, 2.4GHz, 5GHz, I tried previous firmware versions for the extender, to no avail.
Then I read your message and tried my VPN service with my Ipad 2 and to my surprise the video streaming services worked great. What is going on ?
Could this problem only occur in combination with certain routers ? I am using an Asus RT-N66U with my WN2500RP with the latest firmware V1.0.0.30_1.0.58. I noticed that this FW version for the extender, just recently, mysteriously disappeared from the Netgear site.
Message 4 of 5
Unimatrix
Aspirant

22sunit wrote:
Funnily enough through VPN it does work. I have exactly the same setup as you guys. 5ghz router extender and 2.4ghz extender to devices. If i do a speedtest I get 24mbps with my iPad, which should be enough for streaming, though streaming is very slow. Then I activate my VPN from school and it works but speedtest remains the same...

I recently changed the configuration because I wanted more speed as I have a 125mbps connection. Prior to this, I had 2.4 router to extender and 5 extender to devices, also fast lane. Back then it worked! Though I could only hit 60mbps on my computer, now 100.

Back to our issue, I first thought it was about the 300mbps vs 145mbps but it makes no difference. Tried WMM, QoS no change. Like I say, the VPN part is interesting!

Interesting ! I have the exact same problem with my Ipad 2 (IOS 7.1.2) in combination with the WN2500RP. My connection is more than sufficient, everything goes fast, downloading apps, browsing, loading pictures... except video streaming. Whether it is YouTube or videos on news sites or anywhere else, it just is impossibly slow with constant buffering. I have no problem with my PC or Android devices connected to the extender. This problem seems to be strictly with apple devices. My friend with an Ipad mini has the same problem when connected to my extender. I have tried all the modes, Fastlane, 2.4GHz, 5GHz, I tried previous firmware versions for the extender, to no avail.
Then I read your message and tried my VPN service with my Ipad 2 and to my surprise the video streaming services worked great. What is going on ?
Could this problem only occur in combination with certain routers ? I am using an Asus RT-N66U with my WN2500RP with the latest firmware V1.0.0.30_1.0.58. I noticed that this FW version for the extender, just recently, mysteriously disappeared from the Netgear site.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7