× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wont conect AC2200X4S

engrbill47
Aspirant

Wont conect AC2200X4S

Try as I may, the wifi extender will not connect to more than 86 maps why,
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Wont conect AC2200X4S

You didn't give us much to work with. 

1. What actual extender do you have? AC2200 is a speed (look at the label)

2. what firmware is on it? 

3. what router is it connected to? 

4. is that speed 2.4gh? 5gh? wired? 

5. What device are you testing on? 

6. How far from the router and what materials are in the way between router/extender? (what are the walls made of? how many are there? is there flooring in the way? what type? certain materials block wifi signals)

Message 2 of 5
engrbill47
Aspirant

!. EX7500

2.I have zero fracking what "firmware" that I have.

3. It's a standard Spectrum router. There is no "brand" on said router and the font is far too small to read.

4. 2.4 Gig

5. What device seems nebulous. My cell phone is a Samsung Galaxy A32G 5G

6. The EX7500 is approximately 4 feet from the router. The dwelling's walls are plaster dry wall.Single story.

Message 3 of 5
rohank9084
Aspirant

I am on Garuda Linux. I use a wifi dongle called ac650 made by ugreen. I checked the kernel version and it’s compatible. Update: it uses Realtec RTL8811CU chipset
Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

A couple things. 

1. hitting 86mpbs over 2.4ghz is actually considered pretty fast. 2.4ghz is a much slower network than 5ghz and is more sensitive to interference. Check a few test sites for 2.4ghz speeds through an extender 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/wireless-extender/view

you can optimize speeds a bit but if you're hitting 86mpbs, its running well over 2.4ghz.

2. Test your 5ghz. But don't expect miracles. That AC650's max "link speed" for 5ghz is 433mbps. Thats link speed, not throughput. throughput for 5ghz tends to be around 55-65% of your link speed. And 5ghz speeds drop off quickly with distance/obstructions. Its a pretty base model AC adapters.

3. test your wired speed at the EX7500. The EX7500 uses a dedicated backhaul to the router and that'll be your max speed you can get from the extender. 

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7