× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wrong WiFi Password / Network Key When Setting Up Wifi Extender

sappyduck
Aspirant

Wrong WiFi Password / Network Key When Setting Up Wifi Extender

New Wifi Router, Old Extender.

Hello, I have seen many topics on forums regarding this question, none of which I could find were solved and those that were, did not fit my issue.

I have a NETGEAR AC1750 WiFi Mesh Extender (EX6250), set to the "Extender" function. I have tried all three methods of syncing it with the new Shaw router. I have tried many different locations in my house, even directly next to the router.

- WPS did not work (the first two lights went green and the last one and then it just stopped blinking after a while and I tried 3 times and yes I did follow the instructions perfectly)
- The Nighthawk app told me I typed in the wrong network key.
- Accessing the extender via my computer connected with a cat 5e Intel Ethernet cable to the extender, as I did the first time, to set it up told me I had the wrong network key, aswell.
- I have even tried using my browser on my android mobile phone while connected to NETGEAR_EXT and it gave me the same issue. Wrong network key.

I cannot have the wrong password if I have connected several devices to this new router without flaw, and double checked every single character I typed as I typed it and after it was typed in with my phone's wifi password, which has connected to the router

Please help me, I would like to get stable internet in my corner of the house, and I don't want to switch to another brand. Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: Wrong WiFi Password / Network Key When Setting Up Wifi Extender

A wild guess from yet another user far away, located in Switzerland: Is this newish WiFi router something like an Ignite HomeConnect, which is aparently working with WPA3-Personal (or some mixed mode)? With the older Netgear extenders supporting WPA2-PSK only, it might be difficult then. Only newer Netgear Extenders are supporting WPA3-SAE or transitional modes.

Message 2 of 4
sappyduck
Aspirant

No, its a new Shaw (Rogers) router in Canada, it has WPA2-personal just like the last router
Thank you, though.

Message 3 of 4
sappyduck
Aspirant

Update: the password and SSID have been changed, still nothing. Still can't access it, support is no help and the second the problem isn't your fault, support leaves you with a middle finger
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7