× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: X6S AmA – Your X6S Question Here

pege63
Aspirant

X6S AmA – Do i need a Tri-band router to get the most from the EX8000?

To get out most of it do i need a Tri-band router for the HEIGH fast band level on 5GHz to dedicated the 1733 Mbps for the backhaul and my other 2,4/5GHz mobile devices could communicate on the low and middle band on the router, If i only have a dual band router the high band would be uptaken on the 5GHz by the EXT8000 and just leave the 2,4GHz band for mobile devices, or the best would be a Orbi router?

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
arunkmony
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes. The backhaul will be using the same channel as your router. By default Nighthawk Routers all use high 5G band, so that would help.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
arunkmony
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi pege63,

Great question. It's recommended that if you have a tri-band router, you dedicate your high 5G band exclusively for connection between X6S and the router for getting best performance. This will ensure both router and extender clients are not interfering with the dedicated wifi connection. If you have a dual-band router like a Nighthawk or a third party router, you can still get the benefit of the dedicated connection from EX8000 while continuing to use the 5G band on the router for clients/devices.

Please visit http://www.netgear.com/landings/ex8000/ to know more details.

Message 2 of 9
pege63
Aspirant

Yes but on a DUAL band router you have to fight about the bandwidth on the 5GHz low/middle/high/ band with other 5GHz devices on the router, it will be a slower backhaul?

Can we dedicated and choose our self the CH on the high 5GHz band for connection between X6S and the router or does it allready have the dedicated CH build in?

Message 3 of 9
arunkmony
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The dedicated wifi link/backhaul of Nighthawk X6S automatically configures as a 2x2 or 4x4 depending on which channel your router is configured. If your router is operating in the low 5G band, the backhaul will be a 2x2 and if your router is operating in high 5G band, the backhaul will be 4x4. From the router's perspective X6S is a client on the 5G. If there are many slow clients on the router's 5G band, it could be fighting for bandwidth but the entire band is still available for the extender's backhaul. The backhaul connection from extender will automatically be on the same channel as your router and usually chosen at the time of installation of the extender. 

Message 4 of 9
pege63
Aspirant

Yes thats wath i wanted to know, if you have some clients at 5GHz N, that would be the low band and then some mobilephones with AC 1x1, 2x2 on middle band and then some AC 4x4 on the high band, there will be fights about the bandwidth on the router side if it is only a DUAL BAND router, that would be taken by the dedicated wifi backhaul and the EXT8000 would be fighting for the bandwidth with clients who connects close to the router NOT the X6S?

Yes the entire band will still be available for the extender's backhaul but not with the full speed for which it is intended to be.

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@pege63 wrote:

... there will be fights about the bandwidth on the router side if it is only a DUAL BAND router, that would be taken by the dedicated wifi backhaul and the EXT8000 would be fighting for the bandwidth with clients who connects close to the router NOT the X6S?

Yes the entire band will still be available for the extender's backhaul but not with the full speed for which it is intended to be.

The radio is dedicated in the X6S, but generally wouldn't be dedicated in the router.  So you are correct in thinking that the 5 Ghz client connections to the router will compete with FastLane3.

Message 6 of 9
pege63
Aspirant

So there is no special dedicated wifi backhaul CH on the X6S, i have to choose the CH my self (CH 100-144) on the router?

Message 7 of 9
arunkmony
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes. The backhaul will be using the same channel as your router. By default Nighthawk Routers all use high 5G band, so that would help.

Message 8 of 9
pege63
Aspirant

The dedicated wifi link/backhaul of Nighthawk X6S automatically configures as a 2x2 or 4x4 depending on which channel your router is configured at.

So witch channels numbers are this for the "2x2 and 4x4" on the low, middle, and high band?

*(2x2 on (36-64) and the 4x4 on (100-144, 149-165)?

*Depending of region now.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7