× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

X6S AmA – How does it compare to other high end extenders?

c_wolfe
Follower

X6S AmA – How does it compare to other high end extenders?

Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: X6S AmA – How does it compare to other high end extenders?

Most other high-end extenders are only dual-band, and not tri-band.

The band 3 radio is capable of 1733 Mbps (4 antennas), which I believe is a first in an extender.

When you use the X6S as an extender, the band 3 radio is dedicated to the extender->router connection (using FastLane3).  Dedicating a radio to the extender->router link at least doubles the extender's throughput.

In AP mode, band 3 is available for client connections - which boosts performance in that mode also.

Note I don't work for Netgear, and any errors in the info above are my own.

Message 2 of 3
arunkmony
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: X6S AmA – How does it compare to other high end extenders?

Thank you very much @c_wolfe for the question and @StephenB for your reply. You are right. Most of the high end extenders are dual-band and often have to repeat the signals to the clients using the same wifi band. Not only that almost all extenders create a separate network name (SSID) differnet from the router with an _EXT or something like that which prevents the clients from roaming easily within the house. Nighthawk X6S will be the first tri-band extender that can provide same ssid as ANY router (One WiFi Name feature) to help you roam easily within the house with only one network name (SSID) which you use currently. 

Please visit http://www.netgear.com/landings/ex8000/ for more details. 

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7