× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

X6S - The First Nighthawk® Tri-Band WiFi Range Extender EX8000

BretD
Admin

X6S - The First Nighthawk® Tri-Band WiFi Range Extender EX8000

Nighthawk X6S Tri-band WiFi Range Extender EX8000Nighthawk X6S Tri-band WiFi Range Extender EX8000Turn dead-zones into fun-zones.

Now you can easily build your own powerful extended WiFi network. Enjoy all the advanced router features that a Nighthawk has to offer and easily build your own powerful WiFi network by adding the Nighthawk X6S Tri-band WiFi Range Extender  Model EX8000 to your network. Now you have the flexibility to customize networks in 2.4 and 5GHz. Use your existing router's SSID to create a single network or use multiple SSIDs to create separate networks. With smart roaming and one WiFi name - we just revolutionized WiFI range extenders with the Nighthawk X6S. Learn more on the Nighthawk X6S Product Page.

8/29 - 9/1 - Ask Us Anything About the X6S WiFi Range Extender and Enter to Win one.

Nighthawk X6S Range Extender Features:

• Smart Roaming connects your mobile devices to the best available WiFi
  • Dedicated WiFi Link to router avoids cutting the extended WiFi bandwidth in half
  • MU-MIMO enables simultaneous streaming of data to multiple devices
  • Four Gigabit ports to connect wired devices like smart TVs and game consoles

Nighthawk X6S - EX8000 - Technical Specifications (Click for more)

• 11ac
  • AC3000 up to 3Gbps
  • 4GHz/5GHz (5GHz Band 3)
  • 4x GB Ethernet ports
  • 1x USB 2.0
  • Power on/off button

PHYSICAL SPECIFICATIONS

• Dimensions: 8.94 x 6.68 x 3.65 in (227 x 170 x 93 mm)
  • Weight: 1.9lb (0.86kg)

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

2.4 and/or 5GHz 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac WiFi router or gateway

Nighthawk X6S | EX8000 Press Release

Nighthawk Router not required but is recommended to be used with the Nighthawk X6S Tri-band Range Extender.

Where will you extend your Nighthawk Network with the Nighthawk X6S? Post a comment below. Also, discuss it in our dedicated Nighthawk Gaming Forum.

Message 1 of 17
rivap
Aspirant

Rif.: X6S - The First Nighthawk® Tri-Band WiFi Range Extender EX8000

Hi, i want to buy this. I have already ex7300.

This product can connect with "dedicated link" with my original router that is only 2.4 ghz?
I need to create new home network, i not need same ssd id.
Thanks. 

Message 2 of 17
P-Dog
Tutor

Re: X6S - The First Nighthawk® Tri-Band WiFi Range Extender EX8000

I want to purchase the new EX8000, but wanted to know if I can have two of them connected to the same router for a big home.  I want to make sure they do seamless roaming  when I walk from end of the house to the other end.

Message 3 of 17
BretD
Admin

Message 4 of 17
T369
Guide

I'm in the market for a new extender and came across the X6S and X4S. I like the fact that I don't have to change the wifi name. That said, I'm leaning towards the X4S because where I need the extender would be right in the open where I have an outlet. I don't necessary want to put a table/stand in the open just for the X6S to sit on. Will I be missing out much if I go with the X4S?

Message 5 of 17
mark146
Aspirant

I began using the X6S - The First Nighthawk® Tri-Band WiFi Range Extender EX8000, it seems to drop my wifi fairly regularly even when the signal is strong. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to correct this? 

Message 6 of 17
Raynsy
Aspirant

I share your plight. It droipped and reconnect itself within few seconds. Big problems when gaming.

Message 7 of 17
scss98
Guide

I would like to pair 2 of these this with the R8000p Router.  However, I would like to use CAT6 wires to connect the Extenders to the Main Router.  The owners manual seems to suggest this can be done.  However, it does not describe whether I will still be able to use ONE SSID and have Smart Roaming.  Those appear to only apply when you use WIFI to connect the extenders.  I have thick concrete walls in my home and WIFI is not a solution, I need multiple access points to project WIFI coverage.

Message 8 of 17
mardon1975
Aspirant

I am wondering the following about this product.

1. Will this product work in AP mode if i hook it up to my cat6 network in my house instead of using the wireless link?

2. Would i have to set it up with a different Network ID if i set it up this way instead of sharing the Network ID in the other configuration?

Message 9 of 17
MotherFinMike
Aspirant

I had to return mine the connection was unstable & slow, My previous Ex7000 was more stable 

Message 10 of 17
Automan
Apprentice

Logged a support call as I and at least one other cannot display the list of connected devices.

A fairly basic feature I would have thought...

Page just says please wait till it says your session has expired.

Using my one in Access point mode and tried with chrome and edge browser.

Please WaitPlease Wait

Support call reference 29471317

Message 11 of 17
Automan
Apprentice

Yes it can be setup as an Access Point, just make sure it is plugged into an active network cable on first power up.

You can set it to the same SSID as your existing 2.4 and 5.0 and give the third faster 5ghz SSID a new name.

The "Do More" leaflet that ships with the unit gives the steps in detail.

Message 12 of 17
AnthonyBe
Guide

If you have the EX8000 in Access Point mode, and have One WiFi Name feature enabled, does the EX8000 and the router (in my case a D8500) do smart hand-off as you roam? Or can this only occur if you use the EX8000 in Extender mode? Sorry, the documentation is very confusing on clarifying these scenarios!

Message 13 of 17
mardon1975
Aspirant

I am wanting to know the exact same thing.

Message 14 of 17
scss98
Guide

I spoke to a local dealer.  It does not do "smart" handoff in access point mode is what I was told. Your device will have to know when to pick the stronger signal.  If you use the same network name, you won't know whether your device is still signed onto the router or the satellite.  He was telling me that ORBI 40 and ORBI 50 now support ethernet backhaul and it supports "smart" roaming.  Why the firm ware update only applies to ORBI and not the EX8000 I did not get a good answer.  In any event, I was looking at one R8000p plus two EX8000.  The ORBI 43 is cheaper so I am going with that.  I do not need the USB (its only 2.0 anyway and since I am using Ethernet instead of WIFI backhaul, the ORBI 53 faster wireless backhaul is not useful to me

Message 15 of 17
AnthonyBe
Guide

Thanks for confirming.

I agree, seems like a major "miss" from Netgear to not allow the Extender range of products to also use Ethernet for backhaul and facilitate a 'mesh-style' setup.

I get it that some will say if you want an Extender, then get an Extender. If you want single SSID with smart-handoff, get a Mesh product. But this approach completely ignores people who have already invested in a Nighthawk router which has excellent WiFi, and want to extend from that SSID AND have smart-handoff.

It annoys me that to invest in a Mesh solution means turning off WiFi on my router and thus devaluing the investment in a good Netgear router.

Message 16 of 17
scss98
Guide

I agree with you there. The Nighthawk is all speed and power. ORBI is for dumb users like me who needs coverage and convenience. It’s wrong for Netgear to think those needs are mutually exclusive
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7