× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XWNB5201 second slave?

Retired_Member
Not applicable

XWNB5201 second slave?

I just purchased the XWNB5201 Powerline 500Mbps to N300 Wi-Fi Access Point for use with an existing Netgear WNR1000 Wireless-N router. It's for use in a large house with concrete walls. The WNR1000 gets excellent coverage in the room it is in and in the next room, but after that, the coverage drops off to almost zero. I plan to put the remote unit for the 5201 at the other end of the house in the hope that I will then get coverage for the whole house. If that doesn't work, can I buy additional remote units for use in other rooms? Thanks

Message 1 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: XWNB5201 second slave?

Message 2 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

jmizoguchi wrote:
Duplicate http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=88526
This is not a duplicate post. The first one asks about making roaming seamless. This one asks about adding a second slave unit to achieve greater coverage.
Message 3 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I'm not sure this is a duplicate, In this post, I believe the question is can he use additional units? In the other post he asked about roaming. I'm not familiar with the XWNB5201 or I would had answered his question on this thread too.
Message 4 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Question should have asked both in one thread.

Makes multiple thread confusing
Message 5 of 7

jmizoguchi wrote:
Question should have asked both in one thread.

Makes multiple thread confusing

Only to you, it seems. Then again, this is your forum.

Many forums require people to ask one question at a time. Different question, different post.

I am interested in this question. Not the other one. I am in the same boat.

I suspect that you should set the second wifi repeater with a different SSID. But what do I know?
Message 6 of 7

JenniferMurphy wrote:
This is not a duplicate post. The first one asks about making roaming seamless. This one asks about adding a second slave unit to achieve greater coverage.

I agree, completely different subject.

I have just done the same thing and was pondering this question.

My guess is that we will need to set the second "slave" to broadcast a different SSID. Netgeat_EXT2, for example.

Has anyone done this?
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7