× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XWNB5201 setup & roaming

Retired_Member
Not applicable

XWNB5201 setup & roaming

I just purchased the XWNB5201 Powerline 500Mbps to N300 Wi-Fi Access Point for use with an existing Netgear WNR1000 Wireless-N router. It's for use in a large house with concrete walls. The WNR1000 gets excellent coverage in the room it is in and in the next room, but after that, the coverage drops off to almost zero. I plan to put the remote unit for the 5201 at the other end of the house in the hope that I will then get coverage for the whole house. How will roaming work between the router and the extender? That is, if someone with a tablet, laptop, or cell phone goes from the room where the router is to the room where the extender is, will the coverage continue seamlessly or will they lose coverage? Is there anything I can do in the setup to make the roaming more seamless? Thanks

Message 1 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: XWNB5201 setup & roaming

Setup using different (non overlapping) channel than main router, use same SSID, use same passphrase and you should be able to move around without a problem. In wireless setup in PC check connect to more preferred network if available
Message 2 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

That is, if someone with a tablet, laptop, or cell phone goes from the room where the router is to the room where the extender is, will the coverage continue seamlessly or will they lose coverage? Is there anything I can do in the setup to make the roaming more seamless?

Using same SSID will help on roaming but also not always perfect to say for the consumer items. Access point for consumer is not greatly design of roaming seamless.

It's common to see it will keep hanging to the first access point while you may still are closer proximity to the other AP.
Message 3 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for the help.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements