× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xbox skipping extender

JosephFogg
Aspirant

Xbox skipping extender

We recently swapped our boradband supplier and since then my extender is working fine. However, for some reason my box seems to skipping the extender connection and defaults to the main hub in the house (which due to range is a weaker connection). Any idea how to make my xbox connect to the extender rather than the main hub? 

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Xbox skipping extender

A couple things. 

The EX8000 is a mesh extender, meaning it uses the same ssid as the router. This leaves the devices themselves (xbox, phones, etc) to choose which to connect to. And their roaming protocols might prioritize certain connections over others. LIke for gaming, the priority isn't throughput (speed), its latency (lag).  Latency is the key with gaming as you want the fastest responses.  And adding an extender adds latency. So if its roaming protocol says the decreased speed is worth it because the lowered latency makes gaming better, thats the route its going to take. 

Basically when you use a mesh system, it relies on the devices roaming protocol to choose which has a better connection. And it isn't always about speed. 

If you to manually control it, disable the EX8000's mesh setup and have it on a different ssid. Then you can control which it connects to. 

Message 2 of 6
JosephFogg
Aspirant

The latency is sitting out 38ms at the moment but my downloads and uploads which are usually between 30-50mpbs are now down to between 18-25mpbs. Any idea how to improve this?

Also the extender is set up and running but no devices seem to be connecting to it. Does this mean I need to move the extender closer to the main hub or wire it in?
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

What router is it connecting to? 

Did you set it up using wps or using the installation wizard?

What firmware is on the extender?

Message 4 of 6
JosephFogg
Aspirant

It’s a sky broadband hub, and the firmware is the most recent version as I updated yesterday. I haven’t tried WPS which might be an idea? Only via the internet.
Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Always worth trying. 

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7