× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: cant reconnect ex6150

prdbman
Guide

cant reconnect ex6150

My ex6150 was working well for a few years but all of a sudden I starting have some issues so I decided to do a factory reset and start over. I havent been able to get it setup since.

I am able to go through the setup. I am using it as an extender and get through the wifi connections without any errors. I setup distinct SSIDs. At the end I can see  and connect to the new SSIDs (1 for 2gext, 1 for 5gext) but when I connect to them I have no internet connection.  

I was able to set it up as an access point and that was working but I need an extender.

I have another netgear ex3700. The both of them were working together pretty well until now. When I setup the ex6150 I have the ex3700 unplugged so they dont bump into each other. I connect them both directly to the FIOS router via wireless (ie I'm not trying to daisy chain them). I havent plugged the ex3700 in yet. I'm trying to first get the ex6150 to work without the ex3700 plugged in.

Any ideas to help troubleshoot? I've been through the setup about 6 times by now and am about to order up some new devices.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

What fios router is it? Some of verizon's newer ones have son (self organizing network) built in and that needs to be disabled to use non verizon extenders. 

Message 2 of 10
prdbman
Guide

The fios router is G-1100 Quantum Gateway. I don't see anything about self-organizing gateway but will look further. Thanks!

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

the G1100 has a wps option through the settings. Have you tried setting them up using wps? 

Message 4 of 10
prdbman
Guide

Yes I just tried that. Everything seems to work. All lights are green. But I dont see the new network (ie MyWiFiExample_EXT) after the setup.

I appreciate your suggestion though ... thanks!

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

The ex6150 is a mesh extender. Meaning it won't have a separate ssid if setup in default or using WPS. It'll have the same exact ssid/password as the primary router and devices can roam between it and the router as needed based on their own roaming protocols. so its not an issue but an expectation. you can disable the mesh function but it means not setting it up using wps. 

Message 6 of 10
prdbman
Guide

Ok thanks that makes sense.  Is there a way to know when you are connected through the extender rather than directly to the router?

Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

Not when you're in a mesh setup without checking through the router or extender interface. 

it should be pretty set and forget. 

Message 8 of 10
prdbman
Guide

It seemed to work ok but once I moved the extender to the basement I had some issues. All lights are green, the signal says strong but when I try to access something I get a message saying it’s not connected to the internet.

It seems similar to when I had setup a separate ssid. When I connected to the ssid for the extender, all lights were green and the signal was strong but I couldn’t get any internet connectivity.

When I’m using the extender in mesh mode should I set the extender as a connected device on the router? I don’t see it listed.

Do you have any other troubleshooting ideas?

Thanks!!
Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

Other troubleshooting ideas?
Probably be to try it on a different router to see if it truly is an extender issue or a router issue. 

It wouldn't be the first ISP gateway that got an update and broke something. 

Did you check to see if there was any options for "son" in the router? Maybe they rolled out mesh features to it because they've been trying to push their own extenders

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7