× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: connected extender with all green lights and strong connection barely the speed the router gives

theimortal1974
Aspirant

connected extender with all green lights and strong connection barely the speed the router gives me

image_2021-10-29_160300.pngextender.pngextender.png

i bought this extender.  it's halfway between the router and the laptop.  i got this because my laptop is behind a wall and has unstable internet from router.  i got the extender installed.  all green lights.  strong connection according to wifiext.net.  but i get a fraction of the speed i get from my router.  top picture is comcast bottom picture is extender.  i have gig speed internet.  i usually get about 500 gigs a sec on wifi.

Model: EX3110|AC750 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: connected extender with all green lights and strong connection barely the speed the router gives

3. issues. 

1. Single and dual band extenders by the very nature of how they have to function drop speeds 50%. This happens because the extenders have to use the same chip to go router-----extender and then extender----devices. And they can't do both at once. So it cuts their throughput in half. 

2. That 50% speed reduction? Its off what the extender is receiving. So because of distance/obstructions/interference, even if you're getting 300mbps right at the router, the extender isn't sitting right at the router. its a ways away from the router. So if you're getting 300mbps right at the router, you might be getting 200mbps where the extender is located. So its cutting the 200mbps in half. 

Sadly, this is how dual/single band extenders work. The tribands don't take the same 50% because of their dedicated backhaul. That's why the triband mesh systems have done so well. 

3. The EX3110 is an AC750 extender. meaning it only has 1x1 2.4ghz antenna and 1x1 5ghz antenna. Its a pretty base model extender. So its max 5ghz link is 433mbps. And thats link speed, not throughput speed. throughput tends to be roughly 55-65% of link speed. You might see some benefit to upgrading to a higher performing device. 

So a couple things you can try doing. 

1. move the extender around a bit and try different locations. Sometimes a lateral move helps more than moving closer. This can happen because things in the walls like hvac/plumbing/etc can block signals. So try optimizing placement so you get the best possible speeds.

2. optimize the channel you're using. If there's interference on the channel you're on, it'll impact performance. You can try changing what channel you use for 5ghz. 

Basically you have a pretty base model extender. Extenders are great when you have dead spots but they're not as good when your device can pickup service from the router because of the throughput hit they take. If you're needing faster speeds, I'd investigate upgrading to a better extender or even a triband extender

Message 2 of 9
theimortal1974
Aspirant

why i got it is though i do get fast speeds from the router it's unstable at times because of the big wall between me and the router.  though i'm testing somethings out before i return the extender tomorrow.  i had my router in a little cubby (open in the front) and not sitting out in the open and now it is in the open.  i'll see if that makes a difference.  thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 9
theimortal1974
Aspirant

which of these would you recommend if i live in a one bedroom appartment (though my office is near the front door in a corner of the appartment) and even with ethernet cable i only get 500 Mbs speed?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?id=pcat17071&qp=storepickupstores_facet%3DStore%20Availa...

Message 4 of 9
theimortal1974
Aspirant

i just realized the speed i'm getting far from the router and behind a wall is the same speed i was getting with ethernet connected next to the router.  that doesn't make any sense.

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

How big is the apartment? (sq ft)

That's a bit of key. 

Extenders work great when they're used appropriately. 

Adding an extender when the area doesn't call for it only adds interference.

In those cases, its better to optimize placement of othe router to ensure coverage

Message 6 of 9
theimortal1974
Aspirant

typical one bedroom appartment so i'm guessing 700 sq feet.  i can't place the router anywhere else because there's only one active cable jack in my appartment (i use cable internet).  

Message 7 of 9
theimortal1974
Aspirant

like i said i'm not buying anything unless i have further problems before i return the extender i bought.

Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

The router should cover 700 sq ft. 

The problem is your walls. 

I have a feeling that "big wall" is made from concrete/brick/metal. 

aparments are great at using those materials. 

Problem is they block wifi to an amazing level.

If you can move the router around a bit for more line of sight (long cables that you can hide?), you'll have better results than using an extender. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7